What makes a good catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
WHAT MAKES A GOOD CATCHER ?
This seemed to be a nice topic for a Sunday. I am interested in hearing the different opinions.

Jun 24, 2013
For my DD it is the ones that will go out and talk to her when she is going sideways. They might be talking about the cute boy in the stands for all I know but it helps DD pitching a lot.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Good question...for me a good catcher is one that "controls" the game. We have three catchers on our team. Our most effective one "controls" the game. She does this by her command on the field: 1)talking to and directing players 2) having an arm that is a threat
3) having good technique behind the plate (framing)

When this girl is behind the plate runners on first and third will not get any more than three feet off the base after the pitch or she will throw it down to the base. As the game wears on all she has to do is flinch in their direction and the runners dive back to the base. I do think we get a lot of close pitches called strikes because her framing is that sharp. Those are just examples of how she controls the game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What makes a good catcher. #1 the desire to be a catcher. #2 athletic ability, so many people think this is the spot for the biggest kid who is slow, nope you need an athlete to be good there. #3 smart enough to learn the game from all angles.

Jul 10, 2013
So far everyone is right on point. The girl behind the mask that has the thankless job and the added 10lbs of gear. Everyone worries about the pitchers during the 98 deg. day. For the catcher this is just another day of softball. I find it funny that in baseball you will hardly see a boy catch two games in a row, but on any given weekend you can find a girl that will catch 3 games and sometimes 4 games in a row. I laugh when I read posts about fathers talking about catching for there daughters and there bumps and bruises and there sting hands. For a good catcher these are battle scares and like any good military Vet. they can tell you where and when it happen and they love to show it off. No other player on the team will play more games hurt than the catcher, it comes with the job.
The handling of pitchers this is where a good catcher is worth her weight in gold. A good catcher knows her pitchers. On our team we have two good pitchers but totally opposite when it comes to pitching. The #1 girl when she gets in a zone you have to feed her the ball very quickly and the #2 girl while she likes to go fast that is not always best for her so you have to slow her down. This is where a good catcher comes in handy to know how to slow a pitcher down and it is really a art form to watch the catcher play with her gear, stand up a lot and bark orders to the infield and even talk with umpires what ever it takes to slow the pace down. The biggest of them all which was said is for the catcher to know when she has to talk to her pitchers and yes I can tell you that they do sometimes just talk about boys or what they will be doing after the game. For new parents to catching what the catcher is try to do is take the pitchers mind off trying so hard by talking about other things this makes the pitchers calm down and settle into pitching.
And I agree with the catcher being the general on the field. You have to be able to lead your troops. The catcher has the best seat in the house and a good catcher will always observe her teammates and if she see something wrong has to have the ability to fix it. Nobody ever said catching was easy. Which leads me to the posts about fielders not covering bases or not getting there on time
welcome to catching and as a good catcher it is your job to talk with your teammates and find out way this happen and fix it. Just like a good catcher is a pitchers best friend, A good shortstop is a catchers best friend.
I see posts about where to stand when receiving the ball for a play at the plate. For a good catcher that question is easy where ever she wants. A good catcher does not think about getting hurt there is a job to do and they do it.
And last and biggest can you be a game changer? Can you stop a team from stealing without throwing a ball? And have you earn the respect of umpires to get that close pitch.People laugh but yes, have you earned the respect from umpires to get that close call and is the umpire comfortable with you catching. Nothing worst than and umpire who is afraid of being hit.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Good topic, this came up a while back and I had nothing, this has been percolating in my head for a while, I got:

Selflessness:
Take care of your pitcher, own her success/failure.
Take care of your team, direct their focus and efforts.
Deflect criticism from your teammates to yourself, reverse for praise.
Open your mouth to build your team up, or don't open it.

Professionalism:
You have to want to work.
First in, last out, never whining.
Always stretched, warmed up, mentally prepared.
Self sufficient in practice, not waiting to be told what to do.
Self-sufficient in games: manage hydration, nutrition, heat, gear.
Respectfully engage the officals.

Athleticism/technique:
Stamina, build the strength to stay quick and strong all day in the heat.
Quick read, smooth efficient blocking.
Quick, accurate, consistent release to all bases.
Good solid receiving.
Good positioning on plays.
Awareness of the situation, next runner, next out, etc.

Oct 7, 2013
There's several things that make a catcher good. One thing is being physically active behind the plate. This means the catcher needs to be able to stop the ball no matter what, even if it means risking their body. The catcher also needs to be fast; in case a ball passes.

Aside from being physically fit, a catcher also needs to be mentally fit. During a game a catcher has to be able to move on from mistakes and work towards what’s next. The catcher is involved in every play so there is going to be mistakes made. Not only that, but a catcher needs be a leader. Its can be something as easy walking up and giving the pitcher a pat on the back once in a while.

In the end, there are several different things that make a good catcher, these are just barely touching the several qualities needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207