What is the plan when a scout shows up but DD doesn't play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I hear 'player has good foot work' a lot.....I assume that means in 'coach speak' that there is something to work with.

Jun 11, 2013
The coach likely knows that your kid can play. What they don't know is how they'll react when they don't. If it happens make sure she looks like she is ready to go in.

Have her be the first one out to warm up the 3rd OF, the one that gets the balls after the inning. Coaches know that Freshman will often sit much of the first year or so and want someone who is ready to go when they are called upon.

Jun 11, 2012
Did the coach know that the scout was there to watch her? If he did and he didn't play her it would bother me.
DD's coach changed the batting order completely last Saturday based on the coaches that were supposed to be there and who they wanted to see.

The first time a particular coach came and watched DD she didn't have a great game but she was positive and happy the whole game and the coach noticed that so they came back and watched her again. That next game DD had a great game at bat but nothing for hit to her at all. The coach has reached out to her again and will be coming to another showcase in a few weeks.

The coaches know what type of player they are looking for and if they see a glimpse of that they will usually come back again.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks for the great info!
I should've explained in my OP, DD (2018) has had plenty of games in the past where I would say to myself " well at least she's not being scouted yet".
We have spoken to over two dozen college coaches on various occasions and they all talk about how they love to see a pitcher fail because how they handle adversity tells them more about the caliber of the athlete than when things are going well.
So I was wondering if the player is playing another position, what happens when nothing happens?
You have provided some excellent info here, some of which was beyond my intended question, so thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32