What is an ideal softball parent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Can't add much to what the others have said other than one small bit:

No matter how happy the team is that you're on, somebody is likely to be unhappy. Look for #2, #3 and #4 pitchers (especially #3 and #4) or girls who are "playing out of position" according to their parents. Backup or #3 catchers are notorious, as well. It can be almost anybody, though.

As you sit by all of these parents in the stands, you'll invariably hear something that tips the unhappy person's hand. If you hear anything from the same person a second time, vow never to sit near them again. Also, look to see who Mr. or Mrs. Unhappy sits with. Don't sit with them, either. Ever.

Trust me on this. If you aren't "that parent," the easiest way to avoid drama is to stay completely away from those who are trying to create it. They will almost always convert one or two over to their line of thinking, and those are the 2-3 families that will not be with the happy team next year.

Last edited:
One positive note to add ... Here's what an ideal softball parent would say when asked if his/her DD was happy with her PT:

"Yeah, DD is a catcher normally but the team has three other catchers who are all very close in talent. DD is a better outfielder than all of them and another happens to be pretty slick at 3B, so the other two girls split all the time behind the plate while DD and the other kid are starters in LF and 3B. The coach is using his players extremely well and my kid gets to play 80% of the time. We're all very, very happy."

Feb 14, 2014
As a rec coach, I would love it if all the parents worked with their kids at home. Players need more than just team practice and lessons. Just playing catch is something.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good parents appreciate the volunteer work that coaches are doing for their children.

Not saying that coaches therefore deserve a free pass and can't be criticized. But a good parent sees the bigger picture of what coaches do and has some concept of all the behind-the-scenes work that must go into it, rather than the smaller picture of the coach's decision on batting order and field positions.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Good parents appreciate the volunteer work that coaches are doing for their children.

Not saying that coaches therefore deserve a free pass and can't be criticized. But a good parent sees the bigger picture of what coaches do and has some concept of all the behind-the-scenes work that must go into it, rather than the smaller picture of the coach's decision on batting order and field positions.

This is a great point! The parents that seem to believe in me more than anyone are the parents of a girl who is no longer officially on my team. She plays for the HS coach's summer team, not because she left me, but because I disbanded my team early during the HS season for various reasons, but mainly because I thought it was for the best for my players. However, I later decided to re-establish a team around one of my pitching students who needed more game-time pitching than she would have gotten with the HS summer team. I then ended up with my daughter, the best pitcher of my three pitching students, wanted back on my team. Any, this other girl who use to play for me but now is still on the HS coach's summer team sees me as her choice in a hitting coach. And, her parents seem to agree with her decision. When I first started the team a couple of years ago, the father seemed like he was going to be trouble, as he would coach his daughter from right behind the fence. Boy, now he seems to agree with me 100%, particularly with the hitting mechanics his daughter has learned. In fact, when the HS coaches try to changer her mechanics, even though shes one of their best hitters, she just smiles and nods, but doesn't let them mess with her mechanics. Instead, she asks me about the things they suggest. Occasionally, I agree with some of their suggestions, but usually I don't.

My point here is that sometimes parents who you think will be trouble end up among the most supportive......after they realize you do know what you're doing and their daughter has greatly benefited from it.

P.S. This girl is joining us this weekend for our first summer tournament and she is definitely excited to do so.

Jun 11, 2013
The volunteer point is something that needs to be pointed out more. I think every parent sometimes forgets that most coaches don't get paid. Not only that, but most actually pay dues just like we do.

Another thing is that most coaches are still learning. We had one who would just beat himself up if he sent a runner from third and they were out. We used to always try and convince him that just because they made a play doesn't mean he made the wrong call.

I have heard from several people about not carrying DD's bag. I could see if they never carried it, but what is the big deal if after playing 3 games in 105 degree heat, I throw the bag in my wagon to carry it out. It's not something that is done often, but I was always taught to help each other out. Especially if she is carrying buckets of balls or the bownet,etc.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Shouldn't I just take a picture of myself and post it?
7091060941avatar

While funny, I'm quite sure that most softball parents consider themselves "ideal" softball parents, when in reality many, maybe most, are not. It's the same with coachs--most think of themselves as "ideal" coaches, but many, even most, are not. The real problem(s) arise when narcissism is part of the equation, either in a coach or a parent or both.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00