What if..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Runner was physically hindered...The SS stopped to avoid collision, but she stopped right in the lane the base runner was running. The base runner brushed the fielder when going by....spun a little, caught her balance and kept running.

She was called out for interference.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
You have....

Shortstop, ball & runner merge together....shortstop stops to avoid trainwreck,

Runner reaches 3rd safely.

I took this to mean that F6 checked up just short of colliding with R1. You don't mention if R1 was hindered/impeded by F6's presence. If R1 was hindered/impeded by F6, then there was obstruction, and once R1 arrived safely at 3B, it was off. If R1 was not hindered/impeded, then there's no call to make.

Just saw the below response:
Runner was physically hindered...The SS stopped to avoid collision, but she stopped right in the lane the base runner was running. The base runner brushed the fielder when going by....spun a little, caught her balance and kept running.

She was called out for interference.

Looks like it is time to file a protest before another pitch is thrown.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Runner was called safe at third? No call then. No batted ball so no int(very loose interpretation). No collision so no obs(also very loose interpretation). There are details that get assesed by the umpire on the fly during the occurance, but i think i'd go with no call.

Mar 15, 2014
There does not have to be a collision for obstruction to be called.
The base runner brushed the fielder when going by....spun a little, caught her balance and kept running.

That's obstruction--delayed dead ball.
Award--if any--to be determined later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06