What I want from an umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
In the 2nd inning with too rookie umpires.

3rd base is standing on the bag while the ball is in right-center and my girl try's to touch the bag and then runs home. Both umps are watching the ball and neither sees the obstruction so my girl is called out at home. After a brief - low key discussion about watching the runners (umpire says "I'm new and didn't know that) and even in between the inning I kindly talked to both stating that field umpire should watch the ball and plate ump watch runners a bit closer.

Fast forward to the top of 6th. EXACT same thing happens again and AGAIN neither idiot/umpire sees the obstruction at 3rd.

We lost by 1. Did I mention this was league tournament where loser is done and winner goes on? I came very close to causing a seen, even barked a few choice comments at the UIC who stood and watched it all.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Had a brand new ump behind the plate last week. It was literally her first game behind the plate (everyone has to have a first time). About the 3rd inning I called over the FU who was an experienced guy. I said, I want to tell you something about the plate ump. Thats when he told me it was her first time ever calling balls and strikes. OK well work with her on not moving her head. Every pitch that the batters swing at, she is turning her head and exposing her neck and the side of her head to a potential foul ball. Impossible he tells me, she is a college catcher. 4th inning he calls me over, "thanks, I'll let her know"

Jan 24, 2011
This thread kinda makes me laugh. I rarely even pay any attention to what the umps are doing. I mean , yes , they are going to miss calls and sometimes not know the rules , but me ranting and raving wont change anything. It only takes my focus off of what my team is doing.

Nov 1, 2009
A ball can not hit the base and be a strike unless the batter swings and misses. No ball not even the best change up in the world can stop in mid flight and drop straight down. Nice try though.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This thread kinda makes me laugh. I rarely even pay any attention to what the umps are doing. I mean , yes , they are going to miss calls and sometimes not know the rules , but me ranting and raving wont change anything. It only takes my focus off of what my team is doing.

Same here. I've never had an umpire make some of the mistakes being reported here. If they did, I find it hard to believe that BOTH umpires don't know that the pitch is not dead when it hits the ground, or that a fielder can't be bowled over while fielding a ball. If neither know the rule, then file an immediate protest and summon the ump in charge or the tournament director. Or is this a league game? I'm not saying umps should not be challenged or criticized, but the reality is I'm like the post above - I'm much more focused on what my team is doing.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We had an ump recently that was scared of the ball and would turn her head when the ball was pitched. The only strikes that were called were ones where the batter swung. It was so frustrating, my daughter averages 3 or 4 walks a game and she had 15 walks. It felt like we were back in 8U.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I want an Umpire that calls pitches the same for both teams. Twice during HS we had a PU that addmittedly had different strike zones for each pitcher based on the pitchers' skill.

I also want an Umpire to call balls and strikes based on where the ball crosses the plate, not necessarily where it hits catchers glove.

Nov 8, 2009
I want a PU that has a generous, (24") east/ west strike zone BUT, a conservative ( letters to top of knees), north/south zone.
I want a BU who let's the play finish before making his/her call, don't anticipate and call what they THINK is gonna be the outcome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06