What does it take to break bones...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
A "perfect" hit, I'm sorry for my terminology, yes it can "chip" or "fracture" a bone. Compound fracture that you can see, not at that speed.

Go get X-ray ASAP, even if that means a trip to the ER. At least then they will give her some meds for the pain. A hard hit, the pain will be worse tomorrow.

Obviously depends exactly how it hit, simple x-ray is the best way to make sure, you could have a small crack but you just don't see actual compound fractures the way most people think of a broken bone especially if it hit the meaty part of the muscle on the forearm.

but of course as with any medical situation seek the advice of a professional if you have any concerns

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No way to tell without xrays and better safe than sorry. A 62 mph screwball to the forearm put my DD in a cast. It was a full force hit - sounded like it hit the bat and the ball rolled back towards the mound. I immediately started packing up for a drive to the ER. The good news is that bones heal quickly and the forearm is a much better proposition than the wrist or hand.

Hoping for the best for your DD. Good luck

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks that this isn't exactly the place to go for this type of thing? :confused:

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Am I the only one who thinks that this isn't exactly the place to go for this type of thing? :confused:

If the OP is wondering "What should I do? There might be a break? Perhaps I'll ask around first"...then NO, no business being here!...he should have hit 9-1-1 instead of D-F-P a long time ago!

However...I read the OP as a curiosity thread. I'm assuming he took all the necessary measures after the hit to assure she is healthy and medically alright, and the diagnosis of those efforts was that there in fact was NOT a break or fracture of any kind. And I'm assuming this surprised him and made him wonder...

davey & goliath.jpg

"Gee Davey, what does it take to break a bone? How did that bone not break?"

And out of his curiosity he decided to ask us.

My answer to his question is...I have absolutely no clue what it takes to break a bone. What I do know is all our bodies are different and strange when it comes to harming them. One can roll an ankle getting out of bed or throw their back out for weeks just from sneezing...while others put their bodies through gruelling tortures at work or excersize with no repercussions....go figure!

Trust me, no dissrespect to you all, but I think the only medical advice I would ask this forum would have to do with heat and/or ice...outside of that I think I'll leave it up to our doctors.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I asked because someone may have experienced a broken bone due to impact and I was curious if it was possible after seeing her take a hit today. I am appreciative of those with knowledge and experience on here.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I asked because someone may have experienced a broken bone due to impact and I was curious if it was possible after seeing her take a hit today. I am appreciative of those with knowledge and experience on here.

Thank you for clarifying. However, as noted, everyone is different and there are so many variables that could apply, I doubt there is a specific answer to questions similar to the one you offered.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom