What do you feed your kids?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
You eat what you want and you have your kids do what you want. I personally like to eat these things when playing sports, typically sports with more cardio. I stop by the salad bar and get one of the light pastas on it or go to the fast food and get the baked potato on a regular basis. Not specifically for an event. We particularly like healthy chicken or fish for dinner later.

I never said just before practice. You need digesting time. In that vein, protein does not digest well and is not necessary for active sports right before they occur. It is needed for repair. I dunno, I guess the pasta dinners they have for football came out of nowhere (albeit those are not right before the games). My son likes to eat pancakes before he plays sports (and some other stuff) which I could never do, and I could go on and on.

I don't want to go gender but girls and women just don't have the muscle mass to need all that protein. Particularly if you had some at a prior meal in the day.

Those football players have those carbs 4+ hours before pregames. Second there are different proteins that digest faster than others just like carbs. And yes protein before is beneficial especially for those practices that are 2+ hours that go on. And to say women don't need much protein is ignorant. .5 to 1 grams per lb of body weight, daily. Protein consumption varies with the activity, duration of activities, body weight etc.... When u consume is just as important as what u consume. More carbs and calories are required for gains in muscle size. Protein is required to repair muscles after those activities. Complex carbs like potatoes, pasta and rice frequency and portions should be limited.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We tend to stay clear of heavy meals around practices or games. Typically a lot of granola bars and canned fruit in water with a pop top lid. Both DD'S will skip the spoon and just dump in a mouthful at a time. Not much Gatoraid....lots of water instead.

Jun 29, 2013
This is always fun, with a vegetarian and a meat eater who both are rushing around. The veg gets a quesadilla if I have time, leftover pasta that can be warmed up quickly, or soup if it's cold. The carnivore gets a hotdog, salami, pasta, or a quesadilla. Both get some kind of fruit and veggie combo that they can eat on the way.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
DD is gluten intolerant, which makes it a little bit tricky. I make big bags of trail mix - gluten free cereals, pretzels, dried fruit and m&m's. I make big gallon sized bags of it because her whole team digs into it.

I also make batches of beans and rice with olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. She can take some to school and eat it cold. The burrito bowl from Chipolte works well on the run. Fast food can be tricky since DD can't eat any sort of bun or breaded cutlets. Fast food fries work well in a pinch. DD is 5' 5" and 115 lbs - she has trouble keeping weight on so I'm always on the lookout for high calorie foods.

This is yet another great thread - thanks to the OP for starting it; I'm always on the lookout for more food ideas. I like the idea of mixing ground turkey and veg with beans and rice. Canned fruit in water is another good one. Maybe I can find it in syrup for a few more calories. Tonight I'm making a big casserole of baked ziti (the gfree kind) with sausage, cheese and a creamy tomato sauce. DD's favorite gfree pasta is the plain grocery store brand made with corn. Personally, I like the quinoi kind.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
DD is gluten intolerant, which makes it a little bit tricky. I make big bags of trail mix - gluten free cereals, pretzels, dried fruit and m&m's. I make big gallon sized bags of it because her whole team digs into it.

I also make batches of beans and rice with olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. She can take some to school and eat it cold. The burrito bowl from Chipolte works well on the run. Fast food can be tricky since DD can't eat any sort of bun or breaded cutlets. Fast food fries work well in a pinch. DD is 5' 5" and 115 lbs - she has trouble keeping weight on so I'm always on the lookout for high calorie foods.

This is yet another great thread - thanks to the OP for starting it; I'm always on the lookout for more food ideas. I like the idea of mixing ground turkey and veg with beans and rice. Canned fruit in water is another good one. Maybe I can find it in syrup for a few more calories. Tonight I'm making a big casserole of baked ziti (the gfree kind) with sausage, cheese and a creamy tomato sauce. DD's favorite gfree pasta is the plain grocery store brand made with corn. Personally, I like the quinoi kind.
Wendys has some gluten free foods. The chili and the baked potatoes are a favorite with my DD.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD usually grabs a protein bar, nutella sandwich (sigh), trail mix...and water. We drive an hour to practice, so usually feed her right after...because I work full time, I have no time to make stuff beforehand. Luckily there is a subway nearby so I usually make a run over there during practice so that she has it to eat afterwards.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Getting excellent ideas - thanks for sharing. We do frozen go-gurt, jerky (she loves it), nuts (she is partial to pistachios and almonds), cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, fruit snacks (the jelly kind), granola bars - I try to get to take part protein and part carb. If we have left over black beans and rice, that is always a hit. She is a water girl, Gatorade or other drinks before make her feel sick.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tourney Sat. & Sun. Dad makes 'breakfast sandwich's' the night before. Egg, cheese & cut up sausage on Toasted bagels. Wife 'nukes' them in the morning. We eat them in the truck on the drive. Lunch turkey, cheese & lettuce on rolls.:eek: So, I eat 'breakfast' with DD almost every weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA