What do you do when coach publishes incorrect stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2010
Here's the dilemma.

My freshman daughter would like to get a college scholarship. The HS coach has 20 different people keeping score on game changer. Mostly high school kids who have no idea what they are doing. For a good half of the season they were scoring any kind of bunt as a sacrifice bunt...even if it was a single. This is just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. They had messed up my daughter's stats quite a few times but we never said anything. However, the last regular season game, my daughter pitched 4 innings with 2 ER, they then switched pitchers in the top of the 5th. This pitcher allowed 8 additional ER's over the next 2 innings. The scorekeeper (this time it was the assistant coach), never subbed out my daughter for the other pitcher. So it looked like my daughter had 10 ER.

I did tell my DD to text the head coach immediately after the game to ask her to fix it. The coach said she'd fix it Monday. Of course, it comes out in the newspaper with all the wrong stats...grrr!! Then weeks later, I tell my DD to ask her to fix them again, and the coach says something like, I thought you were more chill than this.

I just looked again today and it's STILL wrong on game changer and max preps. Should I say something to the coach? It's certainly not going to help my DD get a scholarship. Why keep stats electronically if you aren't going to do it right?!

Nov 29, 2009
Relax... For the most part college coaches don't even bother with HS stats. Most know what is happening to your DD is happening across the country. The stats are not reliable for the same reasons you just stated.

My DD was really fortunate with the HS coach when she played. The coach made sure what was entered into the score book was correct. The coach's stats matched mine for my DD exactly.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As a coach, I have 1 official scorekeeper that I trust to do it correctly. I am adamant that the correct player be scored for the correct stats, good or bad. I am also open to questions about the scorekeeping. Since your DD appears to be getting no traction, it is appropriate for you to contact the coach regarding the issue. Tread lightly, though - she might be thin skinned.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's HS coach has omitted stats from 1/2 the games they played. When they were entered there were outrageously wrong. DD hit to get on base 4 times in one game. Amazing each was a defensive error. Rocket past 3rd bases head...should of been caught. No glove on it but still an error. I have quit sweating it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would talk to the coach. It's easy for people to say don't worry about it - when it's not their daughter. I'd be pretty annoyed also.

As for college coaches, I'd be paranoid about that too. I realize the chances are small that a college coach will be looking at them and making judgments, but you never know. It's like when people say don't worry if you strike out when a college coach is watching, the coach realizes it's just one at-bat, etc. That's true, but it's still better to hit one in the gap. Similarly, I'd rather have an 0.80 ERA on MaxPreps than a 3.80.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The guy keeping our stats scores several hits for our own players as ROE. It's extremely frustrating when it comes to the All-Conference voting.

True, unless he's right about the ROE. ...

I was looking at the stats for players in DD's conference recently and noticed that some teams had batting averages that didn't line up so well to runs scored, which is evidence of scorekeeper variance. You'd like to think those voting on all-conference would consider that, plus strength of schedule, etc., but I doubt many do.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's easy for people to say don't worry about it

Yes it is easy to say when it's not your OX getting gored. In our case a kid keeps the book and rather poorly. Asking the coach to go back and put them in would basically be asking them to make up some stats for us. I assume if the OP's coach isn't getting them right to begin with asking them to fix them would put them in DD's scenario.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Heck even stats at the college level can't be fully trusted, over the years I've been to many collegiate baseball games in the southeast area, seen the errors on the scoreboard way off ( up or down ). I can't imagine what other statistical errors are in the book. I'd imagine softball is no exception.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
In trying to be more fair as a scorekeeper, I read the rules for college softball scorekeeping. I must ashamed I am ashamed at what I saw. A pop-up that causes confusion and is not caught, counts as a hit! There were some other things in there that made me so surprised, it made me have to re-evaluate how to keep score for hs and travel ball. I am not changing to the level I read, but I am going to try and apply a bit more leniency when judging hits vs errors.

My dd's coaches trust my wife and I to be fair and equal, and we have proven ourselves over the years. They do not ever question our books, and i have talked about some questionable calls with the coach after the game, if he viewed it as something different than me, we talk about it, and we adjust accordingly... even when it means re-doing the entire game in game changer, which is not fun. We have earned this trust after winning umpire meeting after umpire meeting, when opposing scorekeepers have something different than us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball