What do I Mean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
BM,

I thought I was stealing one of your terms - when I use "critical instance point". Was that you? It's a handy way to summarize the point in which the combination of forces reaches maximum potential/kinetic transfer of energy into the ball.

Although the release occurs behind the front thigh, with the hand beyond the bicep - do you believe that this is that critical instance point? Or do you believe that it is the point where the hand intersects the vertical line formed with the bicep? IMO, I suspect it's the latter... and was just curious of your opinion on that matter... This said, I do realize that the fingers add to the force beyond this vertical line - but I sorta suspect that the potential energy is already in hand... and that the fingers are just an "adder"...

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Huh???????

Just hang in there FR... I made a .gif today that explains MR in less than 7sec. For my notes...without a word or endless pages to surf, or needing to make popcorn to watch a dvd. It hit U-Tube today... will be "coming soon" you gotta quit hanging by a thread... lol

I will say the bat was pretty good too :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
BM,

I thought I was stealing one of your terms - when I use "critical instance point". Was that you? It's a handy way to summarize the point in which the combination of forces reaches maximum potential/kinetic transfer of energy into the ball.

Although the release occurs behind the front thigh, with the hand beyond the bicep - do you believe that this is that critical instance point? Or do you believe that it is the point where the hand intersects the vertical line formed with the bicep? IMO, I suspect it's the latter... and was just curious of your opinion on that matter... This said, I do realize that the fingers add to the force beyond this vertical line - but I sorta suspect that the potential energy is already in hand... and that the fingers are just an "adder"...

"Critical Instance Point" is not me. Those words don't make sense to me in terms of what's taking place......So I wouldn't use them.

This does make sense to me:"reaches maximum potential/kinetic transfer of energy into the ball."

To me this is simply "The Moment".......In order to use "The Moment" to it's maximum potential, I believe "the throw" starts just behind the thigh, and ends just in front of it..........The "Moment" is a point "Mid-Throw"..........

Release means something different to me also. Example......Release to me is NOT the last millisecond any part of the flesh is touching the ball.......To me "release" is the action from the beginning of the throw to the end of the throw, where acceleration is occuring at it's maximum........

I guess I can't narrow when/where release is because your 2 examples are to specific as to position, and to unspecific as to what "release" means.......

Sorry if that didn't help. If it did.......Then great...........

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I don't know why people have a hard time understanding PCs posts, I totally get them- keep em coming big guy...you won't be appreciated for your artistic sensibilities until you are long gone.

"Creativity is an accepting of the allowance to make mistakes. Art is the auditing of which ones to acclimate."~PC

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I am Now...~Tom Robbins THX :cool:

"Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach." — Tom Robbins
" I am very quick to decide...but half the time I decide to delay"~PC

EP: I guess that's my wanta be DFP persona... "wanta-bees grow into... think they used to bees"~PC
Really just between you & me... I'm really more like Ron White well with just one Yuengling that is. :cool:

EPP:"Their desperate craving for simplicity sure can create complications. And their pitiful longing for certainty sure can make things unsteady." — Tom Robbins

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
BM - I just found the source... it's "Critical Instant"... and it comes Dr. John Andrews... so, aside from me butchering the quote a bit... just looks like I have my John's mixed up. ;) He cites two "critical instant" points... the latter being the point of the deceleration of the arm - as it relates to the discussion beyond or at "The Moment"... Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012
Boardmember.... although this post started as a "quiz" .... It's actually turned into a lesson. I wish I had a dollar for every kid that throws a ball like the original example...whether on here...or on the field....or heck... to some extent, like my own DD. DD's first pitching coach teaches IR Mechanics.....for the most part. She just didn't have it down to the same level of understanding as you do ( or Java for that matter)...She couldn't diagnose and correct the kids that didn't accidentally get it right the first time. So sure... she turned out some "studettes". It's been said that a "teacher" cannot be judged on their top 10% of students (they would have been great regardless of who taught them)...but rather their middle 50%. This makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully what you're doing...in educating folks (including me) will help the regulars, trolls, and even the non-believers gain a better understanding of the intricate details of what the best in the game actually do...and how they do it. Learn what seperates good from great. In my honest opinion...once a young pitcher gets the feel of the rotational release....especially if it had to be taught...and taught...and taught... this example that you "quizzed" us on is likely the most common place for them to come to a crossroad between good....and great. Maybe not exactly the same.. but some variation of this. Thanks again for your efforts!!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I've had kids more comfortable with the arc seam of a 2 seam grip because the arc better matches the "long middle finger to shorter flanking fingers" radius in the arc.........

Your answer pretty much sums it up.

More finger on the lace = more control or at least the feeling of control. The 2 seam grip allows the finger to remain almost in complete contact with the lace in it's arc. A 4 seam grip leaves little finger on the seam and very little finger actually on the ball since the seam raises the finger surface off the ball. When you have short fingers that matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi