What are your go-to methods for learning to hit spots?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Is it two successful attempts and on to the next quadrant, or do they just move along no matter what? We always start with 9:00 from 25ft or so. I honestly hadn't even thought to give her locations at that point. I could have been doing that for months. I just think of it as a warm-up and some reference for working on whip.
Move on even if you don't hit it. If they mess up and are determined to hit it, I'm not going to stop them from taking another shot.
It is warm up, but with added purpose. Usually time is a limiting factor, so kill two birds with one stone.

Apr 8, 2019
We recently started playing around with a system my DD learned from Tony Rico. She attended a clinic where he was marketing his pitching academy/website The Range. We are not subscribers, but the site is focused on accuracy and the tactical side of pitching. Their insta posts are pretty interesting.

The very basic, first principles are to throw to a target, ideally low and away, and chart your misses. If you miss, say two balls to the left, you come back and aim for two balls to the right. Here's a video of the basic charting system. They sell charts, but you can make your own. https://www.rangepitching.com/welcome-to-the-range

We haven't been doing it long but we've already noticed an improvement in a few weeks. And I've been pleasantly surprised at how effective it is to be able to consistently hit that low and away spot.

Jul 11, 2023
@kibadbo , you said recently, so maybe not... But do you share that information with your catchers?

In this methodology, do you want your catcher to present the target where to throw at, trusting the ball to end/move in the right destination? Or do you still prefer a target where you want the ball to end up? Or do you target independent of the catcher's mitt and they're free to move around a bit behind the plate so they can work their magic getting under the ball?

I'm always a bit selfishly interested in what pitchers are being taught so I can incorporate that into what my DD is learning at catcher, and how the catcher can best support the pitcher. I understand that everyone is different, but if someone starts talking about this, it gives a baseline on how to initially work with someone new...

Apr 8, 2019
@kibadbo , you said recently, so maybe not... But do you share that information with your catchers?

In this methodology, do you want your catcher to present the target where to throw at, trusting the ball to end/move in the right destination? Or do you still prefer a target where you want the ball to end up? Or do you target independent of the catcher's mitt and they're free to move around a bit behind the plate so they can work their magic getting under the ball?

I'm always a bit selfishly interested in what pitchers are being taught so I can incorporate that into what my DD is learning at catcher, and how the catcher can best support the pitcher. I understand that everyone is different, but if someone starts talking about this, it gives a baseline on how to initially work with someone new...
Most of what I know about them is from their Instagram account. I don't recall them talking about what the catcher does with their glove, but you might want to check it out anyway because they discuss some interesting things like how to read practice swings, how to read foul balls, how to call pitches, etc that a catcher would want to know.

For her last tournament, DD told her catcher that whenever they need a strike, give her a low and away (to a righty) target.

May 13, 2023
Generally if the catcher puts their glove where the intended pitch location is supposed to be will be giving away a critical element that is unnecessary to do.
( don't want to give away intended pitch location)

Pitchers can use other visual references.
For instance catchers shoulders or shin guards.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Generally if the catcher puts their glove where the intended pitch location is supposed to be will be giving away a critical element that is unnecessary to do.
( don't want to give away intended pitch location)

Pitchers can use other visual references.
For instance catchers shoulders or shin guards.
I tell pitchers to use catcher's shoulders, kneecaps, and even ankles as targets in pitching sessions. Also pitching sessions are with bucket parents who will rotate a little on the bucket to set up targets on the corners pre-pitch. Where it gets fuzzy is in games where I like the catchers who do a small shift on pitcher's first move to center up a little better where the ball is supposed to go. Now that creates a moving target for the pitcher and it's no longer in its original spot.
Mixed message?

May 13, 2023
I tell pitchers to use catcher's shoulders, kneecaps, and even ankles as targets in pitching sessions. Also pitching sessions are with bucket parents who will rotate a little on the bucket to set up targets on the corners pre-pitch. Where it gets fuzzy is in games where I like the catchers who do a small shift on pitcher's first move to center up a little better where the ball is supposed to go. Now that creates a moving target for the pitcher and it's no longer in its original spot.
Mixed message?
I have talked with some pitchers about their visual connection with target/location. Remember them commenting the moment they're connecting with that Visual Target is the moment before they start their pitching movement. The catcher is moving/adjusting just after that.

Some pitchers said they're throwing to a spot in relation to the plate and the batter's box lines. With Height of batter.
Not looking at catcher for visual reference.

*This sequence of timing of course may be different for other pitchers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414