Weight transfer/hip rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I've got a couple girls, ages 8-10, that I'm having trouble conveying what I want done during the swing. The 'old school' in me wants to revert back to the 'squish the bug' to get them to bring their hips through and not end up standing on/over their front leg. Without going into the whole reason why 'squish the bug' is wrong, is there any ideas on how to tell these young athletes to properly rotate their hips through during the rotational phase?

A bit more information is that their front foot seems to plant and then doesn't move. This produces the classic arm swing you see at this age. A couple of my better hitters will toe touch, then plant the heel during the hip rotation/weight transfer.

Thoughts? Drills? Remember I have to relay this to a 8-10 year old kids.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Dollars to donuts, your 'better' hitters are landing balanced and the others aren't. Short attention span may be a challenge to implement Hitter's recommended progression from throwing to hitting, but you can at least teach them to balance - bend at the waist first and then soften the knees - and should see more athletic throws and swings.

Good luck and have fun - GM

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I've got a couple girls, ages 8-10, that I'm having trouble conveying what I want done during the swing. The 'old school' in me wants to revert back to the 'squish the bug' to get them to bring their hips through and not end up standing on/over their front leg. Without going into the whole reason why 'squish the bug' is wrong, is there any ideas on how to tell these young athletes to properly rotate their hips through during the rotational phase?

A bit more information is that their front foot seems to plant and then doesn't move. This produces the classic arm swing you see at this age. A couple of my better hitters will toe touch, then plant the heel during the hip rotation/weight transfer.

Thoughts? Drills? Remember I have to relay this to a 8-10 year old kids.

How do your girls throw?

Do they throw like girls or like athletes?

If there is no weight transfer to throw , then do expect it when they hit either which is usually why they are over their front leg in my opinion.

Try this....have them step to throw and slowly have them bring their arm over to throw and then stop.

Now grasp their index and social finger and pull GENTLY forward! Did you feel resistance? Yes or No!

No resistance and they will have shifted their weight forward.

Yes! Then ask them to repeat it and land on the ball of the lead foot on a flexed knee and to think their nose is over their toes and GENTLY pull forward and repeat until you do not feel resistance.

Have them throw and encourage them to land on the ball of their lead foot and flex the knee so the back leg comes forward.

Now have them get ready to hit and inter lock the lead hand index finger to the baby finger of the top hand and hold the ball in the top hand. You stand on the outside edge of their back foot so they can not move their foot IE squish the bug. Tell them to load and step on a flexed knee and keep both hands together and throw the ball.

Did they squish the bug? Probably not has been my experience!

Let them swing the bat now. Then after a few swings do the hand over drill and tell me what happened please.

Thanks Howards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole