Weekend brag thread!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
My daughter's team came in second at a tournament this weekend. Lost 1-0 to a team that beat us 10-1 in pool play and 5-0 in the semi-finals the prior tournament.

Apr 25, 2010
DD's team took 2nd. Out of 4 tourneys played this season, they have one championship and two runners up. This weekend they went 6-2 in a double elim. Had one girl hit a dribbler down 1st base line. While the firstbaseman was standing there waiting to tag her, she ducked under the tag and was safe at first. Strangest thing ever. DD was over .400 on the weekend. Since I don't keep book anymore, I don't recall the exact number. She and the other pitcher each took one loss and each had 3 wins. I love these girls. They never give up.

May 6, 2014
DD's team had their in-town all star game this weekend. Our team went down 9-1 in the first inning on some good hits and shaky pitching by our team. We chipped away inning by inning, tying it up in the bottom of the 5th. We scored 4 in the top of the 6th and held them to 2 in the bottom to win the game 14-12. Proud of the girls for not giving up on themselves and each other!

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I have to add a brag myself. As big of a softball nut that I am, I really, really enjoyed not having any softball events this weekend. For the first time in forever, neither of my daughters had a tournament or a practice on the weekend! Not so the next X weekends coming up.

Same here, both daughters off this past weekend for the 1st time in forever (since January I would guess). So what do I go and do? One of our other teams is putting on a slow-pitch tournament as a fundraiser and ask me to umpire. So I spent 8 hours of my one day off from work baby-sitting a bunch of grown men playing slow-pitch. One guy in particular had been working my last nerve from the moment he stepped on the field, crying about everything, pulling every bush league move in the book. Of course, his team makes the championship game. Bottom of the 7th, his team, which had been run-ruling all the other teams all day long is chasing 5 runs at this point. Bases loaded, two outs, guess who comes up to bat? Yup, Mr. Bush League. By that point, he was something like 15-for-15 for the day. Takes the first pitch for a strike, second and third pitches were balls, so now there's a full count, an almost perfect "Casey at the Bat" scenario as you can set up. Whiffs on the next pitch, game-set-match. It took every ounce of my remaining energy to contain myself.

So that's how I decided to spend my Saturday.

Jun 7, 2013
Same here, both daughters off this past weekend for the 1st time in forever (since January I would guess). So what do I go and do? One of our other teams is putting on a slow-pitch tournament as a fundraiser and ask me to umpire. So I spent 8 hours of my one day off from work baby-sitting a bunch of grown men playing slow-pitch. One guy in particular had been working my last nerve from the moment he stepped on the field, crying about everything, pulling every bush league move in the book. Of course, his team makes the championship game. Bottom of the 7th, his team, which had been run-ruling all the other teams all day long is chasing 5 runs at this point. Bases loaded, two outs, guess who comes up to bat? Yup, Mr. Bush League. By that point, he was something like 15-for-15 for the day. Takes the first pitch for a strike, second and third pitches were balls, so now there's a full count, an almost perfect "Casey at the Bat" scenario as you can set up. Whiffs on the next pitch, game-set-match. It took every ounce of my remaining energy to contain myself.

So that's how I decided to spend my Saturday.

Sounds like it might have been worth it!

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
DD's team got 3rd place in our regional qualifier. Final game was DD's to pitch and she pitched a gem vs last years 9th place national ASA squad.

Was my most favorite game I ever saw from any of DD's teams where we had runner on third with one out in the bottom of the seventh tied 2-2 and could not get the run. International tie-breaker kicked in. They got 2 runs in top of 8th. Seeing eye bloop hits,...the kind that make pitchers parents pull their hair out. Then bottom 8th DD drives home the first with a double off the fence. She gets driven in to tie. I can stay seated no more.... Top nineth the same great hitter we have known since 14U fists another one just over the infield to score the ITB runner. We then couldn't match in the bottom of 9th..... What a game. Unfortunately we beat each other up so much the waiting eventual 1st place team (that we should have beat if it werent for a 3-run error..... - but DD did have a sky-bomb HR) ran through the 2nd place team. Three top finishers were incredibly equal.

Note1 - The HR DD hit had the usual celebration around home plate. The "cool" opposing HC tried to get the HR negated complaining that DD's team can't step in fair territory on HR's.......??? Anybody know the rules here?

Note2 - It is AMAZING what smart insightful adjusting pitch-calling can do for a pitcher. Way to go coach Roger!!

Note3 - Still friggin amazed and thankful to the big guy in the sky for allowing my DD to come back from her season-long back-fracture injury in 2013 to be able to perform like this right before she heads to college. PTL !!!

Watched that game, daughter wanted to watch her old catching partner Renate and some freinds and old team mate from your team. Glad we watched it was a good game.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I'll play.

National Qualifier 14a, we played 2 pool games on Friday and started double elimination on Saturday. All games were timed at 1 hour 40 minutes (20 minutes longer than normal for our area.) DD pitched 2 complete (7 inning) shut outs against 2 very good teams. She started her 3rd game of the day (4th game for the team) got through 6 innings and just didn't have the stamina mentally or physically to finish it out, but I have never been more proud of her!

If we had won that 4th game we would have had to play a fifth game immediately after. Don't think we could have done it.

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
i'll play too, first tourney 2 weeks ago { first year 16} usa preps college exposure. went 4-1 dd's first otf hr at 5-3 120 lbs lefty slapper didn't know if it would ever happen. second week 16 18 open , went 4-2 one lose to an 18 gold with half the team comitted.still only lost 6-3 this past weekend played the vally invite biggest tourney in oregon , lost the final game 16 gold bracket by 1 in the bottom of the 7th. so far great results with out a shutdown pitcher , but the bats are alive . see all u 16s in colorado next week

Sep 18, 2011
DD had an impressive, unprecedented 0 for 10 stretch during last weekend's tourney and yet she managed to stay positive and maintain her sanity. Hope she got those outs out of the way and that she lights it up in Longmont, CO next week during the Independence Day tournament.

Dec 7, 2011
Had a taste of things to come and I love it!

So before DD started HS we worked on the off-speed-drop (OSD), to compliment her change and her bread-n-butter rise.

For some reason the OSD was never even brought out of the quiver for the whole HS season. I asked why and DD would just give me some lame ole excuse always pointing back to our catcher that couldn't block a beachball tossed to her. I have been nagging ever since ESPECIALLY watching the college world series and seeing how deadly the OSD to the outside zone can be....

So then yesterday against one of the top teams in the state our head coach just goes after it with DD. Before the game we mention the OSD and coach takes it and with curiosity and enthusiasm just brings it right out into the game. First one was absolutely textbook on its execution and outcome to one of the oppositions better hitters.

Now I gotta get HC to keep the mix of RB/CU/OSD going strong (as it was easy to "replace" the CU with the OSD but I strongly recommend against that - a third speed is HUGE to killing the mind of a batter). My idea of a perfect mix is 65/20/15 percent respective to RB/CU/OSD (yes with some FB's mixed in,...more for bad batters and when down in count).

(BIG kudos to positive, optimistic, BUT expecting-performance type coaches like ours!!)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1