Website on N.C. travel softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
North Carolina has a new website on travel ball in the state that I suspect is unique in the country, but would be pretty cool if every state had it. It reports scores of every game and also computer ranks every team. There are about 5 different organizations that run tournaments in North Carolina, so it requires getting scores from all five.

The same person computer-ranked the teams a couple of years ago and posted on a message board. But this takes it a step further because it's a website with the ability to click on any team and see all their results for the year. I realize that organizations, like USSSA, have something similar, but only for teams that play their tournaments. This brings together all the organizations. Pretty good resource if you're in N.C., IMO. There are about 200 teams ranked now, but that will swell to about 750 by the end of the summer.

Does any other state attempt something like this?

Beast and Destroy

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2012
The Ohio site is looking at making tournament directors who advertise their tournaments on the website have to also post game results.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The Ohio site is looking at making tournament directors who advertise their tournaments on the website have to also post game results.

Thanks. What Ohio site are you talking about? I'd like to check it out.

One other value of a site like this is it can help tournament directors objectively assess what 'division' teams ought to be playing in.

Currently, most places use a system whereby teams are subjectively rated A, B, C, etc. So if 20 teams sign up, and five are rated 'A', you have a 5-team A bracket and a 15-team B bracket. But in reality, there are no clear dividing lines for divisions like that. By looking at state rankings, you might find that a more natural gap exists after the top 8 in this particular tournament and have 8-team and 12-team brackets instead.

Mar 29, 2012
Thanks. What Ohio site are you talking about? I'd like to check it out.

One other value of a site like this is it can help tournament directors objectively assess what 'division' teams ought to be playing in.

Currently, most places use a system whereby teams are subjectively rated A, B, C, etc. So if 20 teams sign up, and five are rated 'A', you have a 5-team A bracket and a 15-team B bracket. But in reality, there are no clear dividing lines for divisions like that. By looking at state rankings, you might find that a more natural gap exists after the top 8 in this particular tournament and have 8-team and 12-team brackets instead.

Ohio fastpitch Connect

Activity Stream - TheSoftballZone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01