We start with a new PC tonight....any advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I thought our old PC was on board with helping us convert to IR, but after she agreed I got the "I am really stretched thin from work, family" and asked us to go to bi-weekly lessons. We were still willing to work with her but sent a few follow up questions regarding how the lessons would go and never heard back.

So, for now we are moving on. We start with a new PC tonight who is a man, who says he teaches the "whip" style. I have a few things that I am going to focus on like 1. Does he tell you how to fix it rather than just pointing out what is wrong 2. Does he send you home with what to work on to improve before the next lesson of and of course 3. Does my DD and I like him.

Any other things that should be must haves or run for the hills things to look out for? Thanks!

GG

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
aside from how the PC actually instructs,
big ones for me are:

1.Does the PC provide space/facility for DD to warm-up for 15min. or so *prior* to the clock ticking for the actual lesson?
You are paying for a lesson, not a warm-up

2 Does the PC refrain from incessantly checking txts/emails on their mobile device during lesson?
divided attention is not what you are paying for, either

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Corlay,
I agree that kids need to warm up prior to a lesson, but I'd have to hope that a first lesson would cover how to do a good warm up. Also, for new kids, I think some (if not all) of the arm warm up needs to be supervised. Once they've got the basics covered, I'd think they could warm up on their own.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
I'm a big fan of video analysis. So much happens so fast that it's impossible to see with the naked eye. The other thing is - sometimes kids THINK they are doing things one way, and they won't believe that they are doing something wrong until you show them video proof (and sometimes even THAT doesn't convince them at first). So, does the teacher utilize video analysis? I know that you use Coach's eye based on other threads, so it sounds like you are a fan.... Does the PC review the video at times other than your lesson time and either send comments via email, or review video from previous sessions in the next session?

References - talk to some other students or parents. Of course the PC isn't likely to give you any names of students who left because they were dissatisfied.

If you know of any other successful pitchers in your local league, find out who they have used as PC.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Corlay,
I agree that kids need to warm up prior to a lesson, but I'd have to hope that a first lesson would cover how to do a good warm up. Also, for new kids, I think some (if not all) of the arm warm up needs to be supervised. Once they've got the basics covered, I'd think they could warm up on their own.

Ok, Ken - yes, I agree with *all* of this.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the input and those are really good points. The other two pitchers in our league that are somewhat skilled are using the PC we are moving on from so........well you know. They have been doing lessons for a year and us only 3 months. I am NOT disparaging our old PC. I just feel like her time constraints and the fact that we do have a long way to go might have been too much for her. I don't know....she hasn't emailed me back so it is hard to know what to think. I just know we need to be doing lessons weekly to get anywhere and I couldn't wait on her to decide.

The new facility has a warm-up area and he told us to come 20 minutes prior to the lesson for that. I just texted him for specific things he wanted done. I will keep an eye on the undivided attention and will ask him about video analysis. They do this as a separate item and not sure how I will vid while catching. I am really, really hopeful that this is a good fit for us.

GG

Sep 10, 2013
does he give you his full, undivided attention is a big one. my DD had a PC that would be eating, talking on the cell and doing other stuff during the session. not only was it annoying, it was very distracting.

one thing you may want to ask is do you need to bring your own catcher? there was a thread recently about bringing your own catcher or the PC does the catching.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
Young kids do not need video for any skill. They need to learn the big picture, feel it first and learn from results. Save video for later ages who are perfecting details and have some feedback from their body positions.

I've got to politely disagree. Example: recently struggling to convert DD to I/R:
Dad: Honey, you're still turning your hand over and pushing the ball down the backside of the circle.
DD: (frustrated) No I am not. I'd doing just what you said.
Dad: Here, look at this picture (insert video evidence here).
DD: Oh.........

If you're talking about making detailed changes, then yes, I agree. First look at the big picture. Maybe my DD is just stubborn (I have NO idea where she could get that from, but this saying about apples and trees comes to mind).

Young kids do not need video for any skill. They need to learn the big picture, feel it first and learn from results. Save video for later ages who are perfecting details and have some feedback from their body positions.

Yea, I'm going to strongly disagree with you here as well. I'd rather nip a bad habbit in the bud from video analysis than to practice the wrong way for years.

Shoot, why do people even post videos on this site if they arent helpful?

Feb 4, 2013
Sorry, I disagree as well.

I think using video is helpful as a descriptive tool. And it also depends on what kind of learner your youngun is. If she is a visual learner, video will speak volumes more than words alone.

Also, using video could be a confidence booster. Sometimes what they picture in their head is not as good as what is actually happening. Might sound far fetched but it sure could help show them something awesome they are doing which could be a real confidence booster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan