We do not coach victims

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
That, like it or not, was the essence of the spirit of the early modern Olympics. The entire point was that the hobbies of the wealthy, preferably landed, "amateur" were much classier and pure than the sports of the lumpenproleteriat. Royalty and nobility still often compete in equestrian events, and often get medals.

When a reigning British king won a gold medal in an equestrian event, that was considered right and proper. When a poor Indian from Oklahoma won the Decathalon, blowing away the competition, that was a scandal.

There is still a lot of elitism and classism in the Olympics. DS' old high school rowing club had two boys who were good enough for the junior national team. One was from a family that could afford to spend many thousands for their son to train, and to row in international competition. The other didn't. Guess which one was on the Jr. national team?

What is still a huge part of many of the "fringe" events is that rich families can spend the $$$$$ to train thier kids in esoteric sports. Or the flip side of it is China, where poor kids from the countryside will be taken from their homes at a young age to train at national facilities, and the kids get to see their parents for the Lunar New Year. The coaches get better compliance by threatening to withhold the annual trip home.

I can tell you used to be a professor because I nodded off halfway through the post just like in comp lit back in college.

Aug 12, 2014
A comment that I've always liked is that the only sports that should be in the Olympics are the ones where the Olympics are the ultimate achievement. That works for most of the sports currently in, but clearly not for some, like golf and tennis. It would probably fit for softball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like that definition.

Basketball was fun the first time, have not enjoyed it sense. Golf I do not care, you can watch the best of the best every weekend if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles