We do not coach victims

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Maybe Rio will be such a logistical debacle that they will finally realize that they should construct a permanent summer Olympic venue in Greece (a multinational effort, can't expect Greece to do this) and they could even make the Olympics about the athletes. OK. I am going to wake up now.

Nov 3, 2012
speaking of the Olympics, it is that time again so I have to resist the urge to barf in my mouth that this is still a sport in the Olympics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCj92zA0tU

These guys have put a lot of work in (maybe their horse has), and do it at their really nice dressage club or country club. Its just like going to the ball park, but they just have nicer concession stands. Its even a little dangerous (see Christopher Reeves). Just like softball girls have work hard on their fielding, hitting and pitching, these riders just don't jump on the horse and say giddy up (they say tally ho). I'm sure it takes a skill (like having a large bank account). They also have to have proper nutrition (Grey Poupon), and the horses to (Oats).

I don't want anybody jumping on the synchronized swimmers either. You have to hold your breath a long time and have to know how to put gelatin in your hair. That's tougher than putting a bow in your hair. And I bet its tough on their skin being in the pool all that time doing all those under water whirly woos and flips.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As coaches dumb statements like this represent everything we teach young ladies not to be.

Which is dumber...Jenny's statement or starting a thread to discuss Jenny's statement?

Jenny's statement was hyperbole. But I live in Texas, so I'm pretty much immune to hyperbole.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Lesser sports benefit as well. My DS rows competitively, and a few of his collegiate championship races have made it to podcast, but the Olympic races are actually on TV. The Olympics is the only way these "fringe" sports ever get on TV, and are ever watched.

This reminds me of one of my favorite shows growing up - "ABC's Wide World of Sports". Without that show, I would NEVER have learned about cliff diving in Acapulco!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
speaking of the Olympics, it is that time again so I have to resist the urge to barf in my mouth that this is still a sport in the Olympics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knCj92zA0tU

That, like it or not, was the essence of the spirit of the early modern Olympics. The entire point was that the hobbies of the wealthy, preferably landed, "amateur" were much classier and pure than the sports of the lumpenproleteriat. Royalty and nobility still often compete in equestrian events, and often get medals.

When a reigning British king won a gold medal in an equestrian event, that was considered right and proper. When a poor Indian from Oklahoma won the Decathalon, blowing away the competition, that was a scandal.

There is still a lot of elitism and classism in the Olympics. DS' old high school rowing club had two boys who were good enough for the junior national team. One was from a family that could afford to spend many thousands for their son to train, and to row in international competition. The other didn't. Guess which one was on the Jr. national team?

What is still a huge part of many of the "fringe" events is that rich families can spend the $$$$$ to train thier kids in esoteric sports. Or the flip side of it is China, where poor kids from the countryside will be taken from their homes at a young age to train at national facilities, and the kids get to see their parents for the Lunar New Year. The coaches get better compliance by threatening to withhold the annual trip home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles