warm-up suggestions for relief pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Our PC has the pitchers work on their quick warm up routine, in case of situations like this. So when it inevitably happens they are mentally prepared and confident they can warm up quickly. The key is to have 2-3 balls in use. One in catchers hand, and one in pitchers hand (and maybe glove as well). This helps get higher repetitions in faster.

She also emphasizes end the warm ups with a practice inning so they get the sloppy first inning out of the way and are mentally as well as physically prepared to face batters.

Jun 26, 2010
I'm so grateful for this topic to get posted. My daughter is newer to pitching and this is her first full year of little league, tournament and weeknight doubleheaders. She's caught on to pitching really quick. Her biggest problem is too high or too low. Last night coach asked me to warm her up, but she had to bat that inning. She gets stranded at third and inning over. Coach apologizes to her for sending her in cold. First inning of pitching she is out of control, we give up 7 runs and inning over. Next inning she settles down and does well.

She's been struggling on this team with her pitching and I now realize much of the problem could be her not getting enough time to warm up. What should we be doing for a quick warm up? Thanks I feel a whole lot better. Oh, she is 10.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
same issue

My daughter has been pitching for just over 2 years, but is older, a Dec 97 baby. This has been her first year in tournament ball. So in 14U, if you are not ready, it can be ugly real quick. My duaghter is typical 13, (mom knows nothing and is embarassing her). She will always say she is ready with 2 pitches or 10. While I know a pre-game routine should be individualized, a recommendation for a place to start to quick w/u would be helpful, cause then I can say- "so and so said" not me. thanks!

PS thanks to Board Member for great IR description. Quote, "mom, that's great, I can feel the whippiness"

BLB

May 19, 2008
One of our local pitchers was told not to bother warming up before an important game. The starting pitcher got hurt in the first inning and our girl had to come in without proper prep. She ended up injured herself. She was unable to pitch again for the remainder of the tournament. This was at the Olympics. Coaches, always have a second pitcher ready. Furthermore, athletes don't rely on what the coach tells you and learn what you need to be ready. Not everyone is the same.

May 9, 2008
For a quick warm up there is a simple device called an Xcelerator from Softball Oregon Xelerator Pitching Trainer Instruction Hitting Catching Lessons Baseball It can be used with the windmill motion and simulate dozens of pitches in less than a minute. My dd has been using it for several years now and has gotten good results. Less than $40. It is simply a cushioned canister attaced by a small rope to a softball sized dimpled ball. It is swung rapidly and simulates a pitch without the stresses of releasing a ball. The rotation warms up the arm, shoulder, back, and connective tissues simultaniously. A pitcher can be quickly warmed up and be ready to go in a minute or two.

Pops

Sep 3, 2009
We have our first game tomorrow in our districts 10U Little League tournament. Little League actually has a rule that no one other than a player on the team may warm up a pitcher on or off the field, including a bullpen area, once the game has begun. Not a coach, not a parent, not anyone other than another player in uniform who must be wearing a catcher's helmet/mask.

It really is a terrible rule IMO and I don't understand it frankly.