Walk the batter or let them hit it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Suppose the umpire has a small strike zone.

Do you tell your pitcher it is OK to walk the batter? Or do you tell them to adapt to the strike zone of the umpire?

Amy???

Jun 24, 2013
There are some players I want nothing to do with a small strike zone. Throwing off the plate to see if they chase it is fine with me.

Feb 7, 2013
This is a strange question. Pitchers need to adjust to the umpires strike zone. There is a reason you have 9 players on defense. Let the the other 8 players do some of the heavy lifting instead of relying solely on the pitcher to get outs. There is no defense for a walk. You need to remember that the other team is in the same position on defense. Are they going to walk a bunch of batters or are they going to go after the batters?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Really depends on the situation, score, batter, and if the game matters in the grand scheme of things.

The pitcher matters too. Can she move the ball an inch at a time to find the edge of the zone? Can she hit one, two, three, or four corners well? Is she good at getting the batter to hit the ball weakly, ect.

What I tell pitchers when the umpires zone is small, is "So what? Your job is to make them swing at balls. Get out there and beat the batter with every pitch". Around 14u a pitcher stops throwing strikes the vast majority of the time if they're worth the cleats they're standing in.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
Walks are ok, but let them hit it.....unless we're talking about #16 of the EG Lightning. She should be walked every time she steps up to the plate. Keep it at the bottom of the zone and try to get as many ground balls as you can.

Jun 24, 2013
DD had a player on her Team last year that if DD threw it down the middle it was over the fence.. I need to go on the roof of the school to retrieve some of the balls. Another one hit it over a 1/3 of the time. For the first one I would prefer to walk a run in then pitch to her with a small strike zone, I am not sure about the 2nd one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Based on extensive research on getting players out on a walk I think you have to let them hit it. That is a great time to have a dropball pitcher, try to keep it down, and get some ground balls. At least you have a chance for an out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Was this particular pitcher wearing a mask and heart guard? Because down the middle, with most high school students, is going to come right back at the pitcher's face.

Hopefully, the opposing pitcher was having a hard time to.

The only result, is a lot of walks, I suppose.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You should always be working on/outside the outer limits and trying to expand the umpire's strike zone. Selectively walking the opposition's best hitters is not a sin; walking them all is.

Oct 10, 2010
I have seen many umpires completely change their strike zone after a handful of walks. I tell my kids keep hitting YOUR spots, and alot of times by the second inning all is well. Goal is just not to give up too much in that first inning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01