Videos of my 12 yr old DD at pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Daughter has been going to lessons for a couple years now and has been very successful pitching in games. I need you guys to give me some input on what you see that needs to be worked on. Videos are from her pitching lesson last week.
Thanks in advance for your help

Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 1) - YouTube

Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 2) - YouTube

Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 3) - YouTube

Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 4) - YouTube

Ashlynn Robinson 1/25/12 (Pitching Lessons-Part 5) - YouTube

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
You do realize she is throwing with step style mechanics? She does not push off the rubber at all. She is quick and strong but only coming forward as a result of the quickness, a fast strong step.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
You do realize she is throwing with step style mechanics? She does not push off the rubber at all. She is quick and strong but only coming forward as a result of the quickness, a fast strong step.

Hal this is the way DD is being taught and I'm asking is there anything she can do with mechanics that will help without complete changing everything she has learned. We bought your book and she has read it a couple times and I think it has if nothing else made DD question some of the things she is being taught.

Jan 27, 2010
100% effort. Terrible use of all the effort and energy and an injury waiting to happen. How many times has she hit her hip? How often does she complain of pain or soreness after her lessons or practice? I don't doubt she is successful pitching in games, but she could be more successful if she utilized the proper muscles when pitching. I could not make out what the PC was saying to her but if she is doing what he is telling her to do, I would look for another instructor.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
100% effort. Terrible use of all the effort and energy and an injury waiting to happen. How many times has she hit her hip? How often does she complain of pain or soreness after her lessons or practice? I don't doubt she is successful pitching in games, but she could be more successful if she utilized the proper muscles when pitching. I could not make out what the PC was saying to her but if she is doing what he is telling her to do, I would look for another instructor.

DD is doing exactly what her pitching coach is telling her to do and that might be the problem. She was clocked at 55 mph at a college exposure camp a few weeks ago and was very fortunate to get the opportunity to work with Doug Gillis. Tremendous instructor but he is 8 hr drive from where we live. There really isn't any other pitching coaches in our area to take my DD to. She plays for a TB team out of Tulsa (Tulsa Eagles) and this is the guy they recommend. She has complained about hitting her hip before and her forearm is beat red after she gets down pitching.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
DD is doing exactly what her pitching coach is telling her to do and that might be the problem. She was clocked at 55 mph at a college exposure camp a few weeks ago and was very fortunate to get the opportunity to work with Doug Gillis. Tremendous instructor but he is 8 hr drive from where we live. There really isn't any other pitching coaches in our area to take my DD to. She plays for a TB team out of Tulsa (Tulsa Eagles) and this is the guy they recommend. She has complained about hitting her hip before and her forearm is beat red after she gets down pitching.

I have seen this countless times. I would get a referral from other instructors in my area who had students stuck in that same situation. She is strong and quick and her step style mechanis will not contain her anymore. I can guarantee you she realizes / feels this and she is frustrated by it. She is in what I have always referred to as 'Pitching style limbo'.

She is being held back by her current mechanics and she knows it, she feels it. I am pretty sure, from what I am seeing here, her lower back is a little sore after a game too.

I used what I call 'The Fall forward drill' to help convert a stepper to leap and drag, Use the Foundation Method from my book.

I will outline the fall forward drill on a seperate thread.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
If she is only 12YO I would make the necessary changes right now, it will only get harder to make the changes the more she uses her current pitching mechanics. Try to get Hillhouse's DVD. I would focus on three areas: a) explosive drive off of the pitching plate; b) stay open at stride foot plant so she has a firm left side (right now she is closing her hips too much, too soon, and for some reason trying to get into a closed fielding position as soon as possible, not optimal IMO); and c) make sure she finishes her pitching arm to the left shoulder, naturally. Read other posts about how to fix the leg slapping with the glove.

Jan 27, 2010
I wish I knew a PC in your area but I don't. Maybe a member will know someone in your area and can suggest a PC to contact.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I would suggest contacting the Wichita Mustangs as they get quite a few teams coming up from Tulsa to play and would be familiar with the top pitchers and probably their coaches.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I definitely think she is being held back by her style but I really don't have any options in my area other than the pitching coach she currently going to but I'm going to do some research and find out where the next closest PC is located. Her current PC is old school obviously and I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it's what she has been taught. First thing Doug Gillis said when he say her was hello elbow. DD doesn't slap her leg all the time but I do realize this is another potential problem. Her pitching coach uses her all the time as an example for his other students and we really respect him a lot, but I have to do what is best for my daughter. DD is always sore the day after a long tournament but she recovers quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan