Video tools used

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I currently have an iphone 5 that has a crappy battery issue. I'm torn between upgrading to iphone 6 or one of the Samsungs. Softball use would be important...
What do people recomend?

On my iphone now, I have ubersense and coaches eye, and have used both. But I think the cameras are better on the new phones...right?

DD tells me the Iphone 5 has been recalled for battery issues, you may check with the company to see if your has been recalled, may save you come money.

You also can buy a battery replacement kit on ebay.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I use a digital video camera that does well at 60 fps in good bright light (no blur), then use Kinovea for slo mo analysis and ANAGIF for GIF conversion. All free except the camera but mine was only like $250.

Sep 23, 2014
I highly recommend Zepp with iPhone or better yet iPad. Yes it's $150 for the hardware (app is free) but imagine putting your iPad on a stand, (or have someone hold it) pitching 20 pitches, then going back to see all 20 swings recorded and time stamped. The video will be from about 1 second before the swing to about 1 second after the swing. All you have to do is wait for the beep before sending the next pitch. From there you can delete any bad ones (foul balls, misses, etc), and review fwd or back in slow mo, plus they are all stored on the cloud when you create an account.

Now from there you also have bat speed, hand speed, a couple of bat angles, time to contact, and other metrics from each swing. There is some debate how accurate these are but the software (like all apps) is constantly updated and improved and seems to be good enough for measuring improvement at our level.

You can also compare the swing to a pro, Jenny Finch (who has a great swing that's good to teach from because of her height and long arms) in side by side windows. Unfortunately she's the only FP player right now.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
I use Coach's Eye on my iPhone 6+. 240 fps @ 720p. I paid for the additional ability to have a timer on the video which allows super accurate measure of times. Whole deal I think was less than $25. Amazing stuff.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
We are Windows users, but highly recommend Adobe Premier software (which works well in both Windows and Mac). Pro if you can afford it, or Elements to save some bucks. There is so much you can do with this software. I especially like to do Slow-Mo, and add a time freeze to stop the action. Good stuff

But if you want to stick with an all phone environment, I like Ubersense for iProducts and Coaches Eye for Android.

Good to know! We have it in our CS4 and have never thought to use it.

I highly recommend Zepp with iPhone or better yet iPad. Yes it's $150 for the hardware (app is free) but imagine putting your iPad on a stand, (or have someone hold it) pitching 20 pitches, then going back to see all 20 swings recorded and time stamped. The video will be from about 1 second before the swing to about 1 second after the swing. All you have to do is wait for the beep before sending the next pitch. From there you can delete any bad ones (foul balls, misses, etc), and review fwd or back in slow mo, plus they are all stored on the cloud when you create an account.

Now from there you also have bat speed, hand speed, a couple of bat angles, time to contact, and other metrics from each swing. There is some debate how accurate these are but the software (like all apps) is constantly updated and improved and seems to be good enough for measuring improvement at our level.

You can also compare the swing to a pro, Jenny Finch (who has a great swing that's good to teach from because of her height and long arms) in side by side windows. Unfortunately she's the only FP player right now.

Good luck.

Good stuff. So far, the ipad software is a bit buggy, but I haven't updated. I'm sure it will get better and better with the popularity of this product.

I use Coach's Eye on my iPhone 6+. 240 fps @ 720p. I paid for the additional ability to have a timer on the video which allows super accurate measure of times. Whole deal I think was less than $25. Amazing stuff.

Just got the 6 plus.. the phone must have been designed by a coach. It's a bit of a brick, but what a great device. Übersense is a nice product for on the fly work at practice.

Oct 22, 2009
PA

Good luck.

The one problem with the Zepp app is that you cannot export the video to a computer or other web-based application (yet). I contacted the company and they told me a web-based program will be available in a coming update. They also need to get more softball players in their pro library. Otherwise I've been very happy with Zepp.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
OK, finally loaded Zepp and Ubersense. Not quite ready to drop the coin for the Zepp gadget, but very cool apps. Can anyone tell me how to get a pro swing onto Ubersense? Do I just have to get one onto my phone and then import it? And it doesn't appear that you can import videos into Zepp?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
OK, finally loaded Zepp and Ubersense. Not quite ready to drop the coin for the Zepp gadget, but very cool apps. Can anyone tell me how to get a pro swing onto Ubersense? Do I just have to get one onto my phone and then import it? And it doesn't appear that you can import videos into Zepp?

For Ubersense, hit the record button when you are on the "Video" screen. Your camera will turn on and will be ready to record, but from that screen there is a button on the lower right that will let you import video from your iPhone/device. In order to get a Pro swing imported, you will need to download a video onto your iPhone then import into Ubersense.

For Zepp, I posted in another thread that the videos you take cannot be exported to another application, and you cannot import outside videos into the app. Zepp is working on a web-based solution so that you can share video taken from the Zepp app and I assume you will be able to import other videos into it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles