USSSA Tournament big joke

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
Played in a USSSA qualifier, I guess you need the new USSSA label on the bat. Every time one of the girls went to bat they had to show the home plate umpire the label on the bat. Here is the joke, the umpires never checked the bats or helmets to see if they were safe and no cracks they just wanted to see the label. Then we played the tournament with NFHS softballs no USSSA label on the ball.
This sound like another money making scam by these groups. Because we were told that the old USSSA label is no longer good you have to have the new USSSA label. Both bats meet the same requirements.
Shame on USSSA for making more money off us

Dec 7, 2011
These kinds of stories always piss me off.

Last time I got ticked off like this was when ASA officials threatened to test bat-compressions and then never did. They just did the ole shake test for any rattle-bats they could throw out..... I submit that at TB-A tournaments that it should be mandatory to get a compression-test-passed sticker on yer bat.

Jun 26, 2010
Had the same issue a couple weeks ago in Green Bay. Umps only checked for the sticker and five bats were not allowed to be used.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Both bats meet the same requirements.
Shame on USSSA for making more money off us

Though im not defending Utrip, I dont believe this to be true. The old standard if I'm correct, was that no bat left the factory exceeding 98mph exit, but over time they could after break in...new standard is that they will never exceed 98mph over the lifetime of the bat. As far as making money, not sure what Utrip gets out of it, but perhaps they do see some money. This is something that they had announced in '12 i believe to take effect in '13...they delayed until 1/14.
This is something your coaches should have known. I believe when you go to their website to look at the tourneys, it mentions it.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Went to watch some games yesterday and an old Stealth was being used. Definitely doesn't have the new usssa sticker on it. I have yet to have an umpire check equipment before a game although not sure if they do that outside of high school around these parts.

Dec 11, 2010
Only time dd's bats have been checked for stamps is after she burned outfielders. And that was the opposing coach not Blue. (Red?)

I have seen a few old school bats in u-trip this year, funny thing is the only bats I have heard thrown out was at a hs game where goofy ump threw out a bunch of rocketechs that didn't have new u-trip stamp. Duh.

Mar 1, 2013
Checking bats pre-game is not technically mandatory, but it's a good practice both for game management and as "preventative umpiring". It takes just a minute to do. Usually I go over and ask them to line them up on the fence so I can check them, then go over to the other bench and say the same thing. By the time I come back from the other bench, the first side is ready and I can breeze through them. If teams would get into the habit of having them out and ready, it would take even less time, but unfortunately, since not all umpires seem to check, they don't get into the habit.

As for the checking at the plate, we were instructed to do that in USSSA tournaments this year, too. It takes a second and most of the kids come up showing it as they get ready to get into the box. I have caught a handful, often with a "but we used it before" explanation. Doesn't matter. No new stamp, it's not approved for USSSA this year.

Nov 29, 2009
If teams would get into the habit of having them out and ready, it would take even less time,

You are right about that. We were playing at the Compuware tournament a few weeks ago. The umpires were checked bats and helmets at every game. We had out players line up their bats and helmets in front of the dugout as soon as warm ups were done with. It took the umps only a couple of minutes to go through both teams when both teams know what to expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog