USSSA C Classification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
Hi! Me again. This is my current hyper focus:)
When USSSA determines whether or not you can Classify as C, wil they use record from fall ball to make that determination? It makes sense to me that they would. DD10 team only lost 2 games this fall, one of which was to a team now classified as 12U C. When I look at the U trip site, I see many teams we played this fall still classified as C, but our team is classified as B. Could this be because she hasn't finished the process to appeal to play C? She obviously intends to play at the C level in U trip as all of our projected tournaments are such. She has obviously been made aware of the process. Yes, these things do cause me anxiety😃 thanks much.

Jun 18, 2010
Hi! Me again. This is my current hyper focus:)
When USSSA determines whether or not you can Classify as C, wil they use record from fall ball to make that determination? It makes sense to me that they would. DD10 team only lost 2 games this fall, one of which was to a team now classified as 12U C.

Generally the local USSSA staff leave it up to the Head Coach to classify their team. If they receive complaints or accusations of teams sandbagging they will contact the Head Coach and discuss reclassification.

I don't know how many games you played in the fall, but if you are consistently placing in the top 4 places in tournaments, it is time for the team to move up and play more equally talented teams.

Call or email Doug and ask him.

Doug Morrison
doug@playmsp.com
Missouri Fast Pitch State Director
Missouri Slow Pitch Area Director
Midwest Sports Productions
21967 W. 83rd St.
Shawnee, Ks 66227
Office - 913-543-6116
Home
Missouri USSSA Fastpitch - Home

Jan 23, 2014
Thanks, Knight! I will do that. I personally hope we move up. This fall was our first with the team, we finished 3rd in our 1st tournament, 2nd in league(which isn't a great indicator, it's in the Northland-most teams aren't as strong, esp who bother with league) and 1st at the 2nd tournament. The year before, they only won 4 games, it could be why the coach is hesitant. I think the team is ready for the most part, catching would be a concern at first- but others have said that they will get better quick when they understand it's on them.
I would rather move up now and stand a chance at the end of the season, I know last year there was a team who had to move up right before their WS. And I was told they hadn't even won a tourney that year(apparently the PC had a girl on the team) maybe if they move up now and lose a few they could be more competitive by the end of the season.

Jan 23, 2014
It is my understanding the coach picks the class.
New rules, this year You can't automatically sign up as a C team. Trying to keep teams from getting killed. Wish they'd do the same to the B level, not many registered A's in the lower age groups here so there can possibly be a huge talent difference from Those forced out of C for winning too often and for those who are at the top of the b level.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This year in PA, USSSA has required all teams register as a "B" team and then appeal to play "C". One of the factors they look for is how many rostered players have played on previous travel teams. I believe 25% is the cutoff they look at. Before they did this, it was ridiculous the number of C teams we had, some with players who had been on TB teams 2 or 3 years. This year C is sparse, whereas B has exploded (I personally think they need to be stricter about making teams move up to A). As usual, very few teams are registering as A teams, or not at all and playing the other sanctions.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Just curious, but why is it necessary to classify teams as A, B and C? If you have 50 teams that frequent the local USSSA circuit, do people believe that there are clear-cut boundaries that allow you to say ''there's a real gap between the #10 team and the #11 team, so let's divide it there? If you have five 'A' teams and seven 'B' teams enter a tournament, would the tournament director really divide it five/seven and not six/six?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Just curious, but why is it necessary to classify teams as A, B and C? If you have 50 teams that frequent the local USSSA circuit, do people believe that there are clear-cut boundaries that allow you to say ''there's a real gap between the #10 team and the #11 team, so let's divide it there? If you have five 'A' teams and seven 'B' teams enter a tournament, would the tournament director really divide it five/seven and not six/six?

It has more to do with leveling the playing field for the novice teams and limit the amount of trophy hunting that goes on. In our area, there aren't really USSSA A tournaments anymore (they might get one or two entrants on any given weekend), they are mostly Open tournaments, so at least lower level teams know that are likely going to play much better teams if they enter, and it still gives the A level teams opportunities to play USSSA tournaments. I generally prefer PONY tournaments in our area since they are all Open - no A, B, and C levels. ASA is slowly making a comeback, but USSSA is by fat the most popular organization.

Jun 1, 2013

They attach rules to those classifications like A and B can't drop down to play C. A's and B's compete against each other every weekend in the open tournaments and they only have strictly A or B tournaments when it is State or World Series time. All they did with this new restriction is bring down the overall competitiveness of the B class. Does not matter how many tournament teams a girl has been on for how many years, she may still be a C/Rec player. They should have left C class alone and just reclassified everyone mid season based on win % against in class opponents. The A's around here generally consist of what appears to be genetically altered softball machines posing as kids! I understand why they have done this but there was a better way. Last year I saw an "all star" team come up and beat several good B and C teams. All star is 1 level below C in USSSA. They were sand bagging awful on class but they were also playing in the C and open tournaments not All Star. If a team is going to compete on a national level though, they should be able to dominate their class and get some wins higher up the ladder. IMO. Reclassification at the mid point is probably the best way to put everyone in appropriate class but let the coaches decide where they should start.

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
Starting this year USSSA will not let you reg. as Class C.
You must reg. as Class B, then have your State director or who ever is in charge of your state rosters review and move you down to Class C.
This came due to all the teams sandbagging at C Nationals in 2014.

In Illinois, we only allow 3 past B players on a C team, and no past A players.
Class B we only allow 3 past A players
Every year we move up the top 5% of B teams to Class A, if they were dominating at Class B
Not a perfect system but works for us and makes the playing field equal.
We also have an appeal form in place so teams can appeal if they do not agree with their ranking.

We also will move a team mid season if they classed themselves to low

We have Class B, A and Open tournaments, so there is a competitive tournament for everyone.

Gene Head
USSSA Illinois Assistance State Director
Illinois Roster Manager

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
It does say that the C World Series may garner additional restrictions.

I was told for C Nationals this year, they will check over the teams more closely, if you were dominating Class C and your state did not move you up, good chance they will not let you enter.
They really want Class C for non-full time travel, rec/all star teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207