USSSA A player guest in a USSSA C tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Is it legal for a player from an A team to guest play in a C level tourney? Is it allowed in some states but not others?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Within the same age level, no. One age level up? Maybe, but I doubt it. 10UA guesting 14UC? Sure, why not.

Jan 7, 2014
My DD just played in a 14u C tournament in Chambersburg PA and they lost their first bracket game against a team using a guest player from a 14u A team as their pitcher and lead off batter. The tournament director had no problem with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've lived and played in GA and NC and have never heard of this being illegal. Don't know the official USSSA rule, but I have never seen tournament directors in those stats take issue with this.

Jun 1, 2013
Yes, it is illegal. A registered "A" player can not pick up in a "C" tournament. If a formal complaint is lodged the team can kicked from the tournament. The rule does not vary by State.
Regardless of age a player can not play down in class. The exception is the type of tournament that is being played. An "A" or "B" player can play down with a "B" or "C" team if the tournament is an open format. If the tournament director does not have a problem, the state director of sanctioning body will.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Who decided to call this kid an "A" player? Is she currently rostered with a sanctioned body as an A player..... Or is she honestly just a ringor from another above average team? I'd still be salty if I were a part of the opposition, but it's legal otherwise.

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the rules. It looks like that page establishes restrictions on playing up or down based on age. I don't see any discussion of A, B, C, etc.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Or is she honestly just a ringor from another above average team? I'd still be salty if I were a part of the opposition, but it's legal otherwise.

Seems like the A-B-C thing is a much bigger part of the softball culture in some areas than others. In my experience in NC and GA, I couldn't tell you which teams are A, B or C. You just sign up for a tournament and the director will divide it up however he/she sees fit. There are some B tournaments that discourage or don't allow A teams, but in most cases, it's just 'we're having a tournament, you sign up, we'll do the best we can to make it fun and fair.' I don't think anyone would notice if a player from an A team was a guest player for a B or even a C team. If the player was a true ringer, the issue would be that she's a ringer, not the technicality that she's on an A-level team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1