USA Elite Select Futures tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
this try out is coming to our area and I think we may do it. I actually have no intention of either of my girls making the team (my 10 year old only has 2 pitches but hits her spots, gonna be a short try out LOL) I think it will be a good experience for them nonetheless.

Question. I'm looking at the schedule and it looks like they are only giving the girls like 20 minutes to warm up, Did they give the pitchers extra time or did your DD just do her pitching warm up at that time?

The only difference between your DD and most of the other 10U pitchers is you’re admitting she only has two pitches. Girls at that age will experiment with grips of different pitches, but for most the ball will perform the same as their other pitches. She’ll have fun at the tryout and has nothing to worry about.

FWIW DD is a college freshman and has three pitches.

Oct 16, 2014
The only difference between your DD and most of the other 10U pitchers is you’re admitting she only has two pitches. Girls at that age will experiment with grips of different pitches, but for most the ball will perform the same as their other pitches. She’ll have fun at the tryout and has nothing to worry about.

FWIW DD is a college freshman and has three pitches.

Haha yes I agree thanks. :)

She has a fastball that she throws with pretty good accuracy and a changeup that is about 10mph slower than her fastball and has a nasty drop at the end. She's been shown how to throw a 2 seam and a 4 seam fastball, as well as a knuckle change, and a screwball. But I wouldn't say she's mastered those others or even likes them - she certainly isn't comfortable doing it in a try out. We work mostly on form and speed and are not too worried about moving pitches yet, if she doesn't have good form there is no point building on that with multiple pitches. She just read that they can throw 4 pitches in the try out and wondered if she HAD to, because those second 2 are going to look an awful lot like the first 2 LOL

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Questions on format:

1) Do pitchers need to supply their own catchers? or do the kids trying out for the catcher position catch the pitchers during their evaluations?

2) How do they deliver the pitches for hitting evaluation? Pitching machine?

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2015
Questions on format:

1) Do pitchers need to supply their own catchers? or do the kids trying out for the catcher position catch the pitchers during their evaluations?

2) How do they deliver the pitches for hitting evaluation? Pitching machine?

Thanks.
The catchers will catch I believe but at ours there are significantly fewer catchers than pitchers. My husband caught for our daughter.

They had 2 hitting stations. One was exit speed off the tee. The other was live pitching by an adult. No machine.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2015
My only major issue with the tryout is that my daughter is a catcher. While they do a throw down to second test later in the day, the catchers are also judged while catching for the pitchers. My daughter had the pitcher that was super nice but couldn't get the ball even close to her. So she spent the whole time chasing balls. She was also paired up with a 12 year old pitcher but is only 10.

While she plays 12u at home, she would have been on the 10u team. To me, it would have made a lot more sense to have her catch for someone in her age group, especially since one was available. The 10u pitcher that was there, had a 12u catcher.

All in all, we would do it again. She loved it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877