Uniform #'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Bill Lee, the former Red Sox pitcher nicknamed Spaceman, wore 37 but always wanted 337, which spelled Lee upside down and backwards. Some grizzled veteran members may remember the SI photo of him on the mound in a NASA suit and beanie propeller.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
DD wears #1 for everything she does. I asked her why she wanted that number (I think she was 8) and she said "well isn't that your old football jersey in the closet?" When I told her yes, she said "well I want to be like you so I want that number too". Pretty cool moment for me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD wears #12 because her first year of TB the coach asked her what number she wanted and the best she could come up with was her birth date.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Bill Lee, the former Red Sox pitcher nicknamed Spaceman, wore 37 but always wanted 337, which spelled Lee upside down and backwards. Some grizzled veteran members may remember the SI photo of him on the mound in a NASA suit and beanie propeller.

Call me "grizzled."

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Weird how kids can get attached to certain numbers.

In their early days, both DD 1 and DD 3 wore 8 as much as possible by their mother's request. It is a lucky number for Chinese, which explains why some Chinese will have 8's in email addresses and vanity plates.

Then Ryan Braun won the MVP on the Brewers, so 8 became a hard number to get. DD 1 was always 6 or 16 after that, and DD 3 gets 9 as much as possible.

It could be worse. I remember watching a 4 on 4 soccer game when DD 3 was very young. All the kids who joined teams in the first grade got new unis, almost always with 4 for Favre. One time 2 teams were playing, and the coaches put all their 4s out at once. Of the 8 kids on the field, five wore 4.

Note to coaches: never, never, never give 4 to a Chinese or mixed Chinese kid. 4 sounds like "death" and is considered very unlucky. Chinese hospitals will skip the 4th floor.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I wish I had a copy of the email DD'S coach sent out a few years back. He urged all the girls to settle uniform disputes among themselves, because if he gets involved the process becomes painful, messy and completely unfair. For example, two girls both wanted the number 21. Neither would bend. He said they got a lesson in factoring. One girl received #3 and the other #7.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01