Uniform #'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2013
Been around softball for a little while, but certainly not as much as most of y'all. Overheard a a very knowledgeable coach at a game last night that as the girls get older (12U and beyond) he likes to stay away from single digit uniform numbers. I have noticed that the VAST majority of girls wear double digit #'s but always thought they had additional meanings etc. Is there some sort of stigma with single digit uniform #'s that I'm missing? In MLB, higher double digit #'s usually means you won't be around very long, but in fast pitch 99's, 77's etc are common place. Meaningless question I know, but was curious.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Could be so there is no confusion between jersey number and position number? I've seen umps and scorekeepers get messed up because of that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When we order jerseys we let the girls choose whatever number they want as long as there are no duplicates. For some reason there are a lot of 88's....must be a lot of NASCAR fans who play softball!

May 6, 2012
Texas
There girls choose there own numbers with us was well. No real team meaning behind our numbers just the personal meanings behind the girls reason for picking the numbers.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our League does not order uniforms every year so all the players across at least 2 age groups have unique numbers. So the players are forced to use the large numbers. Basically the player is assigned, have a little choice, a number that is theirs as long as they play in the League. From 8U to 18U.

If DD moved to another Team or League she would try to get #78. :)

MS owned the uniforms and took them back after the season, numbers went from like 1 - 30 so DD had #6. Plus the numbers went by sizes, so DD had to pick a number 6 or under.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2015
When we order jerseys we let the girls choose whatever number they want as long as there are no duplicates. For some reason there are a lot of 88's....must be a lot of NASCAR fans who play softball!

88 is the number of stitches in a softball. That was the significance of Raven Chavanne's choosing of 88.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Remember if there is a dispute over a number, the girl whose daddy has a pole barn that the team can use, gets first choice.

My dd was #6 for the past 4 years or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01