Umpire was intentionally hit by pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Some of these umpires like to show their authority. This happened to us three years ago. The umpire screamed at one of our girls and myself as a coach thought it was very inappropriate. What recourse do we have other than to put him in his place. Than plan was to throw a high fastball and the catcher miss it. The catcher would not do it. Some of these umpires must gave been picked on in high school. We show great respect to the umpires but some are just out of hand.

You're damn lucky the catcher was a better person - and more mature - than you were. Feel free to let everyone know where you coach since you're apparently so proud of even thinking about being such a punk. Ever umpired? Feel free to grab a mask and get behind the plate anytime, tough guy.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some of these umpires like to show their authority. This happened to us three years ago. The umpire screamed at one of our girls and myself as a coach thought it was very inappropriate. What recourse do we have other than to put him in his place. Than plan was to throw a high fastball and the catcher miss it. The catcher would not do it. Some of these umpires must gave been picked on in high school. We show great respect to the umpires but some are just out of hand.

Instructing your players to commit an act of violence was the best choice you could come up with? Pathetic.

Note to self: Do not EVER allow DD to play for Jon McKee.

Sep 16, 2015
I too was at this tournament with my daughter on an opposing team and witnessed this. While I definitely don't condone this type of behavior this Umpire was out of line multiple times that I had seen while watching this game and was just as bad behind the plate in other games that I watched. And while this pitch isn't seen (and should not be seen) very often in girls this age, it's a pitch that has been around and even used in the major leauge for decades.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Jon, so, your idea of putting him in his place is to ask your players to assault the umpire? Maybe a better course might have been to go out and have a discussion with the umpire. Maybe contact those who are responsible for hiring him/her. Maybe film his/her actions and show that to whomever does the hiring. Perhaps, pull our team off of the field if you believed that is actions endangered them. You had all types of options.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I too was at this tournament with my daughter on an opposing team and witnessed this. While I definitely don't condone this type of behavior this Umpire was out of line multiple times that I had seen while watching this game and was just as bad behind the plate in other games that I watched. And while this pitch isn't seen (and should be seen) very often in girls this age, it's a pitch that has been around and even used in the major leauge for decades.

Which game? There are now a couple referenced in this thread. If you are referencing the game where the catcher bailed out and allowed the umpire to be hit in the head, I'm lost for a comparable incident in MLB.

Jul 3, 2013
I too was at this tournament with my daughter on an opposing team and witnessed this. While I definitely don't condone this type of behavior this Umpire was out of line multiple times that I had seen while watching this game and was just as bad behind the plate in other games that I watched. And while this pitch isn't seen (and should not be seen) very often in girls this age, it's a pitch that has been around and even used in the major leauge for decades.
How was this umpire 'out of line'?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2015
What recourse do you have? How about file a complaint with the tournament director or assignor of officials? Instead you instruct minors to commit an assault on an official. Glad your catcher had the guts to stand up to you.

.....exactly

Assaulting the umpire is the WORST thing you could "teach the kids" in that situation when you don't get a call/series of calls you think you should've gotten. Oh wait....winning the game and teaching the umpire a lesson is much more important than the lesson of "Alright team. Get to squeezing those lemons for lemonade. P.....tighten up your zone because he's calling it tough today. C.....make sure your framing is where it needs to be. Everyone.....we need your A game. Step up and overcome the obstacle.

Nah.....bean the umpire.

Yeah....great lesson :(

Someone has to be the character leader on the team and make sure the no matter what you don't compromise your integrity as a team.......oh wait......the catcher did that! Don't let her leave the team!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This has to be a case of trolling, someone's first post and then they disappear is about trying to hit an ump to put him in his place. Yeah umps have pissed me off before, but it never occurred to me that the correct response would be to tell a child to try to physically assault him.

If this is true, what a great lesson for the kids. Listen when someone pisses you off, and you feel insulted just hurt him. That guy that cut you off, run his rear into the ditch. That girl who complains to the boss, put rat poison in her coffee. The teacher who won't cut you a break, tell the paper that he touched you...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

In your mind what the appropriate number of times an umpire should be purposefully thrown at? And people wonder why there is a shortage of good umps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA