Two Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2013
what is the general consensus on a player playing on two fastpitch travel teams during the same season ? shund upon ?

Nov 29, 2009
It depends. If one team is playing a light schedule and the player wants more time on the field, go for it. It's up to the player and her family to resolve any schedule and roster signing conflicts.

You didn't say if all the coaches know she is playing on two teams. There may be some issues there. Again, not enough details to give a definite opinion. Each situation is different.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Both coaches should be made aware and one team should have top priority. Also, she can only be on one roster per sanctioning body. i.e. ASA, USSSA, PONY, etc.

My DD plays on the town travel team and a club team. Club always comes first, and town coach understands. She plays ASA, PONY, USSSA for club, so will not play in any of those for the town team. Luckily town league is during the week on opposite days of club practice and club tourneys are on weekend, so it works out for us.

It's really up to you and if the coaches are open to it. DD likes it, DW thinks we're both nuts.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
what is the general consensus on a player playing on two fastpitch travel teams during the same season ? shund upon ?

If you are taking guest playing there is little, if any issue in general. Some coaches have major issues with their players guest playing (that is a separate thing) but overall it is very normal.

If you are talking trying to take on two full time teams at once, that is tough. There is always going to be conflicts nd one team is always going to end up the priority. That would be a tough thing logistically, but I can't say it is frowned upon - just unusual and a lot of softball for any player.

Only real issue is rosters. Frozen rosters dates are set by different sanctioning bodies so there is nothing saying that a player can be on one teams official roster for ASA and a different one for say USSSA. My DD is likely in this situation this year - as she regularly guest plays for a couple of teams on weekends that her normal team is not playing. Her normal team doesn't play any ASA tournaments this season, so she is listed for another team for ASA that she may play on at Nationals.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd did it. She played on her normal 12U team but also played on a 14U team. Her 12U team didn't play in that many tournaments and so 2 weekends each month were open. So, she guest played on the other team. Actually, the parents, players and coaches treated her like a regular. I don't think most people run into this type of situation and we know we were so lucky finding two teams like this.

Jun 12, 2015
Around here players picking up with other teams on off weekends is very common. Committing to 2 teams seems impossible to me. I have no idea how that would ever work.

Sep 29, 2014
I would think full time commitment to two teams with full schedules would not work. If it is a guesting situation or play up when available or local versus showcase maybe but the first thing you have to do is let both coaches know what is going on and establish what the priorities would be for each team.

Jun 11, 2013
It can be done but make sure you protect your kid.

Most TB kids are very tough kids. Playing 5-6-7 games in a weekend seems normal but it's not. With practice and all the warm up there is
a tremendous strain put on their bodies. Keep an eye out for overuse injuries. DD hurt her arm doing it a couple of years ago and while
her arm doesn't hurt, it has hurt her mechanics.

Don't rely on her to tell you she is gassed. If she is anything like mine she won't tell you.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD has guest played about 12 games this year, and even attended a few of their practices. Her regular teams schedule is very light until June, and her coach was fine with it. As long as she's having fun the extra work has been a huge benefit. Full commitment to two teams would be another story. 80-100+ games a season and numerous practices a week would take their toll pretty quick.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like others have stated, it really depends on the specifics of the situation. My DD played on two teams last year (both in the same organization). One was a 16u team and the other was an 18u showcase team. The 16u team was her primary team with the "locked roster" that others are referring to. This was not an issue playing with the 18u team, because the showcases were not worried about the type of roster used. It is my understanding that "locked rosters" only become an issue when participating in States or Nationals. Most open tournaments are not going to care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG