Turning the Corner in hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Hitting Gurus. Can u pls help me understand "turning the corner" in hitting. How can I make it easy for my dd to understand and implement. I am close to understanding the concept.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I would also like learn more of the 'nuances" of a GOOD corner.
Even though this road as been gone down many times before, I glean more every time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
See if this post makes sense to you.

A little late:
tumblr_nqj40i992B1usf292o1_400.gif

She pulls back with her hip and back....against her rear leg....such that....upon lifting her front leg....her rear leg IMMEDIATELY goes....tries to open her....and does a bit....BUT....the continual movement....pull back....of her back and scap keeps her back....even though she is moving out a bit. And the continual pull back movement MOVES the corner UPWARD....from where it started....in the rear hip socket....to the scap spine junction....from which she turns the barrel. She is one-legged while all of that is happening....until she decides....to swing or not to swing....upon which she falls forward in this take. FEEL what it must feel like in her rear hip socket.

Read it.

Feel it.

IT IS AMAZING.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I do a late separation throwing drill in the beginning to help build a good sequence. The late separation comes after the coil.

In fairness to TM, I added the SNF drill to the hitting workout.
First 5 things I do most lessons. First 2 I always do.

Throwing, fielding, One knee, walk up, then the SNF to start the lesson.

Straightleg

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
See if this post makes sense to you.

FFF. The only thing that come to mind to me is this. Is it like a football receiver running a 10 yard cut? He has to make a 90 degree turns so that the defensive man cannot stay with him? (Probably also has power make that quick turn.) The receiver has to make a quick cut. If he rounds the turn (corner), he will not have separation from the defender. So, the hitter has to have a quick turn of the bat around the corner (90 degrees) to generate power? If he round the the corner, then powet will b lost? Is that a good analogy?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CB, that is an interesting analogy.

I should have highlighted the points of DB's post that I wanted considered.

DB was describing the feel of the corner moving upwards. That is a real feel ... and IMO it is more than just 'feel'. When I emphasize to my hitters that “we hit with our rear-side”, I want that. I sometimes refer to it as “Pivot The Swing”, which I prefer over “Shift AND Swing” (... which is often contrasted with “Shift THEN Swing”).

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
walker_zpsbb145145.gif

Nice GIF, Before He swings there is a guy in the stands whose face is hidden by His hands(hat,sunglasses). Use this a reference...
The rear knee starts pulling the rear hip rear hip, as that happens look at His hands. They seem to float for a split second. That's the hands setting up a barrel move behind the corner. Now look at the barrel during this same time frame. It swirls around above His head from front to back. So, even though the hands seemed to be floating they were actually working the barrel.
Now comes the best part, Look at the path the barrel takes behind Him. Remember the guy in the stands where His hands started? Watch the barrel cut that guy in half. See the speed of the barrel way back there? Now look again at his hips and feel how they are in front of this action pulling the hands through.... Do you see it? Can you feel it? That's the corner. IMO

Good stuff

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I do a late separation throwing drill in the beginning to help build a good sequence. The late separation comes after the coil.

In fairness to TM, I added the SNF drill to the hitting workout.
First 5 things I do most lessons. First 2 I always do.

Throwing, fielding, One knee, walk up, then the SNF to start the lesson.

Straightleg

SL. Can you tell me more about your warmup throwing. U use hip coil in throwing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors