Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Sorry fellas - was away for a vacation and just saw this.

No vroom needed - maybe a better explanation is this. The different views of the same action was to give everyone a 3D perspective of the early barrel turning....so when you view a clip from the side you can also "see" what the action of the barrel is in 3D perspective because sometimes it looks like the barrel is just falling behind the hitter....the label was a marker.

When the back elbow goes down and the front elbow comes up the barrel will (should) go rearward. The barrel will also turn (meaning the label will turn)...you are essentially turning a triangle

does that make better sense?

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I watched a demo on turning the barrel a few years ago. They use a device called the bat broom. One side of broom is red the other is blue. Top hand was the key
If you hold it too tight the wrist will roll and you will see the red instead of the blue at contact.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I watched a demo on turning the barrel a few years ago. They use a device called the bat broom. One side of broom is red the other is blue. Top hand was the key
If you hold it too tight the wrist will roll and you will see the red instead of the blue at contact.

I would like to see that demo and the broom, students like to have visuals and toys, specially if they work.

Here is a clip, from u tube, of Tewks "turning the barrel".

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : turnbarrel*

i continue to look for the whole clip, because he demonstrates the pivot point also.

For the ones that understand, the 'hitters box" approach, it is one and the same.

both work well on arm positioning, and hand/wrist work, just add tilt.

pivot clip

http://mann.smugmug.com/keyword/pivot#!i=2374233436&k=63CLcZJ

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Nice video. I don't have the demo video. Bobby I think saw the device on a visit and perhaps can explain it better. You are right the visual is a big help with students.

R

RayR

While I understand what he was trying to illustrate - I would not use that clip as a model. That is why I posted the triangle video clip of Larsen.

I would like to see that demo and the broom, students like to have visuals and toys, specially if they work.

Here is a clip, from u tube, of Tewks "turning the barrel".

mann's Photos : Photo Keywords : turnbarrel*

i continue to look for the whole clip, because he demonstrates the pivot point also.

For the ones that understand, the 'hitters box" approach, it is one and the same.

both work well on arm positioning, and hand/wrist work, just add tilt.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
While I understand what he was trying to illustrate - I would not use that clip as a model. That is why I posted the triangle video clip of Larsen.

MTS, when i picture and look at "turning the triangle", alls i get is the rear elbow in front of the hands. bat drag. chicken wings.

I am after good front arm work, and good rear arm work, which i like turning the barrel, and use the box, as cues.

R

RayR

MTS, when i picture and look at "turning the triangle", alls i get is the rear elbow in front of the hands. bat drag. chicken wings.

I am after good front arm work, and good rear arm work, which i like turning the barrel, and use the box, as cues.

You mean like this? This is a triangle being turned.

RB1-27-13Gif_zps7f5fe610.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2010
Usually I just lurk , read and swing a bat to figure things out.

Just had a quick question. Does anyone have any video of Gary Sheffield? That guy had the quickest bat and most active hands of anyone I ever seen. Just wondering if he would fit in this thread.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413