Turf Concerns ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Yep-the recycled rubber from the tires chunks in the turf has a high concentration of lead IF swallowed.

Don't eat the turf lol.

Jul 4, 2012
Been involved for years with turf selection for golf courses and sports fields. Lead was found in some of the older synthetic turf products. The crumb rubber doesn't necessarily contain lead. The problem is that the rubber is made from recycled tires. Since the tires come from many different sources, there is no guarantee what it contains.

Oct 16, 2014
Between my 2 we practice on a turf filed about 3 times a month. The kids are bringing the crumbs home as well. In their shoes and clothes. If you play on a turf field a couple times a week, then bring rubber crumbs home where they get into your carpets etc, then you have a pretty regular exposure to them. I did read the article about soccer kids who played on these a lot and the cancer cluster involved with it and it does worry me a little.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So pitching off a perfect and consistent surface has to have a benefit. Fielding on artificial fields is also more consistent. I am starting to like the best artificial fields. Instead of rubber/ petroleum product fillers the modern field are using coconut husk for filler. The natural filler is non toxic and can/should be watered to level the field and lower field temperature. Will the ROI in installing artificial fields ever become the norm?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00