Trophy Kids documentary

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
If I'm a bad sports parent, I'm the other kind. The "my kid can do no wrong" kind. Mama Bear tendencies for sure. But I try to keep it in check. I can still remember every instance of a coach yelling at my kid. Doesn't happen often, and I may have a crappy memory for most things, but I don't forget that. When she messes up it makes me want to give her a hug and tell her it's ok, she'll get it next time. I don't do that. I sit in my seat and be quiet. But that's my tendency.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Parents like this will have a tough time surviving in a year-round team sport like softball. Note that the only one here in a year-round team sport is the basketball player. The golfer and tennis players are in individual sports where there is no coach to decide you can't make the team because your parents are nuts. The football player is on a school team, so he is protected. I know there are some awful parents in softball, but year-round teams and over-the-top parents like these don't mix well.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
Watched it last night. The Football kid didn't want his dad around, and wore it on his sleeve and wanted to go back to his moms and in the end did. He loved football, but not as much as daddy. The Tennis mom had delusions of Grander, the basketball dads, well, the kids wanted to play or so it seemed, and the dad of Derek was over the top and the other seems level headed in the beginning, at the end, it seemed like we had a role reversal and a moment of common sense from Derek's dad. The Golf dad, he need a throat punch. And not the, "stop saying that" kind, no he needed the Mortal Kombat, neck breaking kind. I mean, calling his kid a f'n bitch???? Hell she couldn't relax with all his parading around and acting up. And the tourney she won was the one where the parents weren't allowed on the course. Go figure.

Now, I try to hold my piece and I have learned over the years that my kids are trying as hard as they can and don't need me picking on them. As a coach, if I see this over the top stuff from a coach or parent, I will and have said things to them. It usually escalates into a "mind your own business" type of conversation after that, but the point is made.

Feb 17, 2014
They were talking about this on sports radio the other night. I haven't seen it. This is what I remember from the radio.

The tennis kids and gold kid aren't old enough to see what they've become.
None of the other kids panned out. One of the basketball kids went DII, got into trouble and was kicked off the team.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
The tennis kids will never be pro's, at least not anywhere near the top. the golf kid was on another documentary show called The Short game which chronicled other phenoms in the Jr World Championships at Pinehurst. Her dad is not alone in his craziness. they call her tigress and are sure she'll do what he did. It ain't happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877