Triple play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
It's not a force out. Whenever the batter is put out before safely reaching first base, there are no force outs to be had at any base.

This is a catch, then two live-ball appeals of runners failing to tag up before the catch.

There aren't any force outs available on this play!

This is a rule many people seem to struggle with. They want so badly for it to be a "force" out and have a hard time accepting that you're appealing that the runners left early.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD catches Fly #1... throws to 3rd basemen, steps on bag #2 (force player running from second) tags player trying to return to 3rd... #3 ... :cool:

This isn't right. The ball was caught, so there is no force-out at 3B. Stepping on 3B gets the runner out who was at 3B. To get the runner who was at 2B, the ball would either need to go back to 2B, or the runner tagged.

Feb 3, 2011
LOL. This "triple play" clip ends after only 2 outs have been made!
I see a catch by F1 for out #1. She throws to F5 who is pulled from bag, but beats R1 back to the bag to record out #2 for leaving early. F5 then appears to tag R2, who has given herself up, as she heads toward the dugout for out #3.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I see a catch by F1 for out #1. She throws to F5 who is pulled from bag, but beats R1 back to the bag to record out #2 for leaving early. F5 then appears to tag R2, who has given herself up, as she heads toward the dugout for out #3.

I didn't see a tag made on R2, who I suspect was called out for the final out of the triple play upon leaving the playing field.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Guessing Ump thought the same as I did... force @ 3rd. :cool: But it went down as a Triple play. Thx everyone, now I know how to explain it... :cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
it is not a force and I guarantee that is not what the umpire was thinking!

OK..... All I know was DD loaded the bases ... after that we were up to bat, and we went on to win 17-3... first game in tournament, and went on to win it ALL... & I got a nice gif :cool:

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Are you sure you want to guarantee that? There have been a few times where I'm left wondering "what the **** was he thinking??" on calls by umpires. ;)

Yep, I'm willing to stand by that. If not, the PU would not have called the same player (R2) a second time. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00