Transitioning to a new league---advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Well we went to two of the work outs for our rec. league and I just felt so anxious and frustrated the entire time and knew it just didn't feel right. They announced that are serious about making "travel" happen and are putting together another 10U travel team(from the rec. kids) and would be doing evaluations the first 3 work outs. So here we are again.

I could tell the kids were on edge as well as the coaches. Kids that participated in the Fall travel team wanted nothing to do with the rest of the rec. kids. 3 coaches focusing mostly on their DD and not the other 13 kids their for the work outs. Almost 0 turned out for 12U and 10U turnout was half of what it was 2 years ago.

So we have decided to move to another league in the county. There are some hiccups since our old league was Babe Ruth and we are going to Little League. DD will most likely play in the "majors" division with a 12" ball and 40' pitching distance. But I already feel at peace with it.

As some of you know I have offered to volunteer for anything, even the dreaded fundraising, to get no return calls or emails even after I was told I would be contacted. I have already exchanged 6 emails in one day about assisting with coaching, fundraising and recruiting for the other league. We have to get a waiver to play in this league due to boundaries and the president of the new league has worked feaverishly the last 2 days to make this happen.

The communication is unbelievable and I am not laying awake a night wondering about the drama.

I know that nothing is drama free, but I did pray long and hard about a sign for this. Is it the right thing to do? Are we potentially walking into another situation? The inner peace right now I feel is immeasurable and my actions during practice with DD pitching are so more relaxed. I feel now I can just focus on the practice and not whether or not we have to overcome the politics as well. I know that we still may face the situation of a coaches' daughter being pitcher, but when so many other things are going well, I think I could handle it. But all together, I could not.

Don't get me wrong. I def. understand the other league wanting to focus on travel ball and feel it is commendable. However, I can see the trend of competition and travel, taking over what is a recreational league and pushing the weaker kids to the way side. We just want a place where she can play and not have to deal with that level of stress on results, money, matching uniforms, lessons and such.

Any advice for when you are moving leagues and how to transition to a 12" ball and 40' pitching distance. I thought I might not even mention that part. LOL

GG

I understand fully what you are saying. LL can be a great experience, if it is managed right. My three DDs all started out there and enjoyed it immensely.
As for the ball and pitching distance, I found that usually the less I say about it as a coach or a dad, the less it was an issue.
Get involved, coach, fundraise, etc. and help build a program. My biggest complaint with some doing travel ball, is that it pulls the better kids out, when they could be leading, and helping develop other younger players.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
GG- You've made your decision about where to play so now just stop sweating all this stuff. At the end of the day, this is a 9 year old girl playing a sport, just let her get out there and play, the rest will sort itself out. If she is playing majors, just start practicing with the bigger ball (get your PCs input on this), if her hands seems too small and she doesn't progress with pitching then continue with the smaller ball and let her play another position this season. Remember that this board is corrupted by the most competitive slice of the kid softball pie, do not let our collective personality in any way make you think that your DD is behind the curve, she is a 9 year old pitcher with an involved mom and she is putting in her reps. she is far ahead of the rec curve, now you just need to add a little time, two cups of loving support, and a dash of hard nosed motivation and in a year you will have a perfectly baked little 10 Year old pitcher. Just stop opening up the oven.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just based on the tone of your email, it sounds like a positive decision to me. I was involved in Little League for several years, so I am a bit biased. But I thought it was run very well. That said, much of it is up to the local leaders in the program. Based on the response you have received so far, it seems like this group has their act together. You never know for sure, but my advice is don't turn back now! Go for it!

On a secondary note, I would suggest getting your DD involved in All Stars if that is possible. My DD didn't want anything to do with TB until she participated in All Stars. Then we couldn't find a TB team fast enough! She was hooked! She still continued to play rec ball until she "aged out" of the rec program.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks JJ. You are right. It is just hard to let go of all of the hurt I felt out there. Here is looking to the future....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Any advice for when you are moving leagues and how to transition to a 12" ball and 40' pitching distance. I thought I might not even mention that part. LOL

GG

If I remember correctly you DD is 9 and just starting out pitching. The best advice I can give you is I hope she has big hands. Form a fielding and hitting standpoint the 12" ball probably won't present many problems but if she is pitching the 12" ball may cause some issues mostly in her ability to grip the ball. The extra 5' in pitching distance is probably less of a factor than the ball size.

Aug 20, 2013
She doesn't have big hands. But I am putting the cart before the horse I guess. I don't even know yet if we were approved for this league and if we are, I don't know if she is going to be in the minors(7-11) or majors (9-12) so I guess we are just going to stay the course for now. I have no idea of what the numbers or talent range is or number of kids. I did buy 1 12" ball that we can just toss around to get a feel for and leave it at that.

Just over thinking it as usual.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
As others have said, sounds like a positive all around if you switch. The "new" league seems much better organized.

And as a mom it's OK to over think, that's your job so DD can just be a kid. DW does it all the time.

Dec 25, 2010
She doesn't have big hands. But I am putting the cart before the horse I guess. I don't even know yet if we were approved for this league and if we are, I don't know if she is going to be in the minors(7-11) or majors (9-12) so I guess we are just going to stay the course for now. I have no idea of what the numbers or talent range is or number of kids. I did buy 1 12" ball that we can just toss around to get a feel for and leave it at that.

If this is actual "Little League" the minors play with an 11" ball and pitch from 35'... even in all stars. Little League (around here at least) allows you to choose whether you want your daughter to play minors or majors. I'm all about kids getting in the majors as soon as they can handle it. They'll be MUCH better for it in the long run IMO..the games and especially practices are usually way better, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

The fact that your daughter plays catch in the backyard with you @ age 9 puts her in the upper half of the talent level you'll see of the other 9 yr olds in my experience. Inhale/exhale lol.

good luck and enjoy it..they grow up fast

Nov 29, 2009
GG.. Take several long cleansing breaths and relax. You've only taken the first couple of steps on the softball journey. There will be innumerable obstacles as well as path choices ahead that can trip you up. THE best thing you can do for your DD is to not let her know/feel your anxiety. When you come here to seek advice from those who've come before. Take their counsel and use it to help with your decisions.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself and your DD embroiled in the world of travel softball before you realize what happened. :)

I've been involved with travel softball for close to 20 years; the last 10 with no daughter on the team. Over the years I've been asked for my advice on what they should do with their daughter's softball by more parents than I can remember. I will give them what I feel is the best course to take their DD's on. The majority ignore it because it's not what they WANT to hear. Some stumble though and find their way to success. Most don't. Through the years I've had 3 parents and one player follow my suggestions. Two of them are at top D1 schools playing ball. Another is at a Mid-Major D1 school playing ball. The player accepted an invite to a team I suggested. She was recruited and signed at a D3 school that she fell in love with the campus and they have major she wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG