Topspin Vs Bulletspin, Which is Faster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Interesting, I have always thought that the top spin fastball (not peel drop) would be the fastest pitch because the fingers are propelling the ball from behind at release. I compare this to baseball, the fastball has back spin; the slider, which is very close to bullet spin, has the fingers sliding along the side of ball, is not as fast.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Interesting, I have always thought that the top spin fastball (not peel drop) would be the fastest pitch because the fingers are propelling the ball from behind at release. I compare this to baseball, the fastball has back spin; the slider, which is very close to bullet spin, has the fingers sliding along the side of ball, is not as fast.

A pitchers fastball will have spin depending on their natural release. My DD has a natural screwball spin on her fastballs, which is why we are still throwing them. She locates it well and it has enough movement to typically keep it off the fat part of the bat.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I guess I would need to see Rick's swing plane video.

I know that there was a time, over ten years ago now, when Mike Candrea believed the same thing. He told me that the swing was optimal for the lower 2/3 of the strike zone.

The truth of the matter is that the same swing can deal effectively with the entire strike zone.

Attack from the top. It's more than just a mentality. It's an understanding of hand activation and of leveling as you swing.

Don't for a moment believe that you can't teach a swing that covers the entire strike zone.

I never said you couldn't attack the full strike zone, I said you can't get on the same plane angle when the pitcher is throwing a rise ball. To do this you'd have to stand straight up and swing down on the ball causing the ball, at best, to go right back down the same angle it came from. As soon as a pitcher see a batter who stands straight up and swings that way they'll get a heavy dose of drop balls...which they won't be able to hit.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Ayn Rand references and BM leaving? This is like some twisted nightmare. Atlas shrugged is the only book I have ever actually burned. Talk about pseudo-philosophical BS.

Curiousgeorge- I get that you and some others are working with Bill and have some loyalties there, I respect that and am sure it is well earned by him. But some of us don't have a chance to work with him, we rely a lot on access to the experts on this board. Let's not make it so inhospitable to them.

This is an Internet forum-we get together and discuss the same 4 topics over and over. By definition, if you post here on any regular basis, you are already weird and overly obsessed with a sport that 99 percent of the world doesn't care about. Let's not take it too seriously.

Jun 13, 2009
JJ, fair enough. But please let me retort and then we can drop it. Of course, I have a "loyalty" to Bill. So perhaps that skews my judgment. But perhaps yours towards BM is skewing yours? BM threw out a shot across the Bow towards Bill. He said it was a joke and I am absolutely sure Bill accepted that and moved on. But, I found his "apology" disingenuous when it came with the caveat that now Bill can't laugh at himself. A misunderstanding can happen anytime anywhere and if that's what it was, fine. But why throw out another barb about not "being able to laugh at himself", which is preposterous! If it was a misunderstanding then, that's what it was. The "can't laugh at himself" thing sort of removes the whole "misunderstanding" piece, don't you think? Then, another clip gets posted where another comment is made that could easily be taken wrong, about him pitching "wrong" with a glove swim followed closely by another "shot" that nobody should comment about it or Bill will throw a tantrum. Yes, I know that's not what was said, I'm paraphrasing. Lets take a look at all the inhospitable things BM has said to others, there's been a lot. And each time it's EVERYONE else who takes it wrong. I must be a cynic because I don't buy it. BM introduced the world to "IR" and that propelled him to the top of the food chain of the folks here. It's not something he invented, he just opened eyes with it. He talks about his expertise, that he has countless D1 pitchers, he claims to have run a great organization, and even talks about his own pitching career with hints of playing at a very high level. I'm not calling him a liar or disputing, but none of these things can be confirmed because nobody knows who he is. The anonymity gives me skepticism. It's very clear BM has a clear understanding of pitching mechanics and bio-mechanics. Much more than I do, this is not a male measuring contest! But if you want to talk about hostile or inhospitable posts, lets be honest about some of them!!! I think BM's main punching bag of Hal is gone so he has to turn his attention elsewhere. Do I accept that I could be completely wrong on this? Of course I do. I'm just saying how it looks from my perspective.

My apologies for hijacking the thread. I'll drop it now.

cg

Jul 14, 2008
BM, sometimes posts can give off an unintended "tone" of anger, sarcasm, bewilderment, and other things, and I swear that I'm not doing that here especially given recent "misunderstandings", just trying to pose a question: Admittedly, I don't read every post on every thread (far from it) but did I miss something about my glove hand? I went back through the thread to see a comment from Ken B. as you said but I didn't see anything. It occurred to me that maybe he "blocked" me and I'd be unable to read his stuff, and he'd be unable to read mine.

I know in a perfect world the glove hand and glove woulds stay right on top of the stride leg but, I'm not sure that's actually possible as someone is shoving forward and throwing a ball. The idea is to limit how far the glove "swims" and make sure it's not pulling the body off line or doing something incorrect with the shoulders. I'm fairly certain mine doesn't pull my body off line, even if it's not on top of my leg like in a perfect world. But again, maybe I missed something here.

Bill

I'll explain........And you'll see it has NOTHING to do with "glove swim".........OR "crow-hopping".........

Sometime back I filmed and posted a demo on a particular mechanic involved in a particular question posed by one of our members.......

Within 1 or 2 replies to the that post Ken B posted a comment that I was displaying some "Glove Swim" in my demo.........I had a choice in how I responded to that post.........

One choice was to come at him with a self-righteous and defensive post like: "who the hell do you think you are critiquing my DEMO".......

The other was to poke fun at myself KNOWING that Ken B meant only to inject some humor into an otherwise serious thread........

WHICH PATH DO YOU THINK I TOOK???..........

The FIRST THING I DID was hit the "thank you" button acknowledging his humor and poking fun at me........And the second was to reply: "I'm more worried about the gray halo around my head then the glove swim in my demo Ken"............Referring to my graying hair.........

That my friend is one of the differences between you and me...........I can laugh at myself, and at others attempts to make people laugh at MY EXPENSE..........Because Humor is healthy.........The other of course is that you are a world class pitcher........

Bottom line is..........YOU took the post wrong..........You failed to see the humor in my critiquing something that had NO BUSINESS being critiqued your demo.........You, and a few others, FAILED to see the COMIC IRONY of my post......

I offered an apology because YOU mis-took my post........I wasn't apologizing FOR my post........

I got no response from you........So my friend.........It is what it is............

Here's my last observation on the whole thing, then I'm going to move on.........

There was a poster here who is now banned. He had something to sell. His books. And he absolutely could not see/deal with some of the humor posted here at his expense to make others laugh..........In other words.......HE COULD NOT LAUGH AT HIMSELF.........

You have something to sell. Yourself as an instructor/clinician who makes a living at your craft. The response I got from you about my comic irony post.........And the lack of acknowledgement about it, or my apology that you took it wrong..........Rings a familiar tone to me........

So in my opinion......This place has lost it's sense of humor..........

Best regards buddy..........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I don't have any loyalties beyond my DDs. I have gotten great info from lots of experts here. I got a helpful video analysis from Bill once and BMs info has been invaluable. I guess to be more blunt I would just say that they can handle their own beefs without any referees so I am just trying to respectfully ask you and others to not amplify it with personal attacks.

Jul 14, 2008
CG.........I've chosen thus far not to respond to your defense of Bill.........And for ONE reason.........He doesn't need defending.......Especially by you my friend.........

He's done NOTHING wrong accept to write a response to me about an attempt at some humor at his expense.........And insinuate that I am condescending to everyone on this board........And display a pompous attitude in all my posts.........

And you choose to jump on THAT bandwagon........

IMO.......Those assertions couldn't be FURTHER from the truth.........I ONLY rip on people who need ripping on.........IMO of course........

And lastly regarding myself and my apparent anonymity........

Understand something........I have NOTHING to sell.........I do not have to "advertise" who I am.......Where I've been......Or what I've accomplished.........

I am NOT looking for "venues" to clinic........Nor an I looking for students to teach.........I do NOT make a living off of THIS craft......

I am here to offer help where I can and DISCUSS FASTPITCH.........In both a serious and HUMOROUS way.......

If you want to know who I am........Feel free to look at my "about me page".........It's all true.......

Or feel free to ask some older forum members if they can verify my bio.........Several have come forward in the past to do just that.......You're just too new to know that..........

You don't need my name........You don't need my address........You don't need my phone number........Although I have posted my cell number here in the past. You just need what I have to offer in terms of advise..........And maybe you don't need any of that either because you have Bill..........

Others might............

And just so you'll know.........Others who have asked for my help via email.......Know my name.........

It's John...........

Dec 7, 2011
The riseball is just a ball thrown from low to high, sort of.

Those who believe a riseball is a trajectory difference, only, have not seen a real riseball (and I am NOT addressing the pointless question of "do riseballs really rise"....)

A true riseball, which does not start out a a lower release point (like some riseball posers do - with limited effectiveness), is very few and very far between.

Just saying.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma