Topspin Vs Bulletspin, Which is Faster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
FiveFrameSwing, the above clip showing the drop and rise side-by-side is the perfect example of what throws off the batters. Each requires a different swing plane and hitters only have one swing plane: the hitter is swinging upward as the ball comes in downward. Same with MLB, one swing plane (adjustable). When a hitter stands straight up to hit they either have a level swing plane or they drop their hands or shoulders in an attempt to get on the plane of the ball. Rick Pauley's swing plane video shows the proper technique for developing a swing plane that can deal with the drop but their is no drill for the rise, the only choice is to intercept it at a specific place and point in time.

Jan 11, 2014
I have seen some of the better pitchers at the local Mid-Major colleges throwing bulletspin, I'm not sure if they consider it their fastball or riseball. I am curious about which pitch is faster, the topspin one or the bullet-rise one (for a given pitcher). I'm hoping that maybe Rick Pauly has some experience with this given that Sarah probably throws both.

Well, depending on how hard she throws each pitch. Usually when you throw the spiral you're trying to throw it as hard as humanly possible. When you throw the top spin pitch, otherwise known as the peel drop, you can throw it the same speed as the spiral and get virtualy the same speed. If you want it to drop you'll have to take some speed off of it to let the air and gravity give it downward curve.

Jul 14, 2008
6pyg75.gif

Ken B.........I'd think twice about poking fun at the "glove swim" in these clips like you did with me..........You may not get the same silly reaction...........

Oh wait......This is about drop spin vs. bullet spin and velocity.........

It really depends on the amount of I/R used in either.........I tend to think that there is more I/R attributed to the backspin rise or bullet spin pitch then the straight peel........The roll may also be someone's "fastest pitch".........

I think I'm done here for a while.........This place has pretty much lost it's sense of humor........

Maybe I'll check in sometime in the future..........

Regards everyone.........

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Ken B.........I'd think twice about poking fun at the "glove swim" in these clips like you did with me..........You may not get the same silly reaction...........

It really depends on the amount of I/R used in either.........I tend to think that there is more I/R attributed to the backspin rise or bullet spin pitch then the straight peel........The roll may also be someone's "fastest pitch".........

I think I'm done here for a while.........This place has pretty much lost it's sense of humor........

I told you this would happen. Bill and BM feelings hurt. Now both gone. My god grow a set. How ridiculous. Take your ball and go home BM.

Jun 13, 2009
I don't know exactly what happened in the other thread, but CoachFP commented that the BHH warm up looked relaxed (while 'no girls' can accomplish that), and I said because BHH is crow hopping. And I am not sure I need a full post on the history of men's FP and how they think, because my dad played it. My comment was simple, with a small amount of sarcastic defiance of the broad analogy made about girls/women. Wow.

If my team's pitching coach crow hopped during a demo, she would get the same comment from me--she can't show the girls that due to the rules. And the girls can't warm up like that for the same reason. So if it is a little faster, who cares...

In the past OILF, others have attacked you and your posts as being somewhat ignorant and in many of those cases, I personally felt they were being a little harsh. But now I can see what others have been saying. Did you not even read the posts that followed yours on that other thread? Apparently not, so I'll recap: CoachFP made a very generic statement about what he sees from female pitchers and their warm ups. You apparently disagree and feel it's too general of a statement to be correct. But then you throw out a generic statement about how all men crow hop and when Bill corrected you on that, you don't want to hear about it. Second: My DD has been a student of Bill's for several years and he's NEVER demonstrated anything to her with a crow hop. He teaches her pitching based on the rules she plays under. Yet, you looked at 1 minute of a 1 hour demonstration, where the eyes were supposed to be on the ball (and not on his feet) as he is demo'ing the rotation of the pitches, according to what he wrote. I have been to lessons with Bill, I've seen clinics where he's done demonstrations, and I've been to his hometown to watch games in his local league, I can PROMISE you he wasn't trying to throw it "a little faster" in that clip we saw. He barely looked like he was turning his arm over, and maybe I'm lucky to have other frames of reference with him to compare to. You probably don't have that same history with him. I can also tell you this, when my daughter and I went to one of his games, even though it was just a rec league game that was not serious at all by anyone playing, Bill talked to us between innings and told my DD he would throw this next inning under her rules so she could see what he wants her to do at full speed. YES, this meant 2 feet on the rubber and no crow hopping. Seeing that was extremely beneficial because in the lessons, I certainly cannot catch for him to demonstrate by throwing the ball hard, irregardless of whether he hops or doesn't.

As for BM and his self imposed exile from this forum, I don't believe for a minute he won't be reading daily. I think his ego is too big to walk away like that. It's incredible how everyone else can't take his jokes but when someone lobs one back at him, he says the board is humorless.

cg

Aug 21, 2008

BM, sometimes posts can give off an unintended "tone" of anger, sarcasm, bewilderment, and other things, and I swear that I'm not doing that here especially given recent "misunderstandings", just trying to pose a question: Admittedly, I don't read every post on every thread (far from it) but did I miss something about my glove hand? I went back through the thread to see a comment from Ken B. as you said but I didn't see anything. It occurred to me that maybe he "blocked" me and I'd be unable to read his stuff, and he'd be unable to read mine.

I know in a perfect world the glove hand and glove woulds stay right on top of the stride leg but, I'm not sure that's actually possible as someone is shoving forward and throwing a ball. The idea is to limit how far the glove "swims" and make sure it's not pulling the body off line or doing something incorrect with the shoulders. I'm fairly certain mine doesn't pull my body off line, even if it's not on top of my leg like in a perfect world. But again, maybe I missed something here.

Bill

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
"Who is John Gault?"

We all know who John Gault is...he is the guy who lives in a 3-bedroom Cape with his wife and kids in a suburb of a capital city. He puts in an honest 40 hour work week, tries to be the best husband and dad he can be, volunteers in his town, and is faithful to his religious belief. If you sat next to him on a plane he would talk to you to a point where you would consider him a friend by the time you landed....and he would be perplexed as to why we care who he is and what he does. Good 'ole John Gault....a person totally opposite of John Galt ;)

T

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have seen some of the better pitchers at the local Mid-Major colleges throwing bulletspin, I'm not sure if they consider it their fastball or riseball. I am curious about which pitch is faster, the topspin one or the bullet-rise one (for a given pitcher). I'm hoping that maybe Rick Pauly has some experience with this given that Sarah probably throws both.

To answer what I believe was the original question, IMHO a bullet spin fastball should be faster than a topspin or backspin pitch because more of the momentum of the pitchers hand is transferred through the ball. On a backspin or topspin pitch the pitchers hand comes across the top or bottom of the ball, not through the ball. That said, most pitchers are willing to sacrifice the slight loss of velocity for more "movement" on the pitch. A bullet spin fastball will track linearly for a longer period of time (distance) - just like a bullet from a rifle is designed to do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FiveFrameSwing, the above clip showing the drop and rise side-by-side is the perfect example of what throws off the batters. Each requires a different swing plane and hitters only have one swing plane: the hitter is swinging upward as the ball comes in downward. Same with MLB, one swing plane (adjustable). When a hitter stands straight up to hit they either have a level swing plane or they drop their hands or shoulders in an attempt to get on the plane of the ball. Rick Pauley's swing plane video shows the proper technique for developing a swing plane that can deal with the drop but their is no drill for the rise, the only choice is to intercept it at a specific place and point in time.

I guess I would need to see Rick's swing plane video.

I know that there was a time, over ten years ago now, when Mike Candrea believed the same thing. He told me that the swing was optimal for the lower 2/3 of the strike zone.

The truth of the matter is that the same swing can deal effectively with the entire strike zone.

Attack from the top. It's more than just a mentality. It's an understanding of hand activation and of leveling as you swing.

Don't for a moment believe that you can't teach a swing that covers the entire strike zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma