Top 5 things you need for hitting practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A lot of it depends what the goal of the hitting practice is, but these are the tools I have available in my car...

- Balls (game balls, foam balls, TCBs)
- Net
- Tee
- Throw-down home plate

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
A lot of it depends what the goal of the hitting practice is

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

My 5:
1. Patience

2. Knowledge - this doesn't have to be perfect to start but it needs to be more than "swing level" and "squish the bug."

3. A plan...make a plan! Keep it simple...if you are working for 30 minutes that means 1 maybe 2 things to work on - see Eric's post!

4. Patience because your plan of working 2 or 3 things just blew up in your face because you can't get past goal 1 :)

5. Measure and reward their work\success

Are there stock drills that I use?

Self toss is one that hasn't been mentioned...you can watch their sequence either come together or fall apart on this one...for younger kids...give them a lighter bat and toss it for them (I do this for my 7 year old).

and for Pete's sake...teach "the move!" We do this before every hitting practice...wish I would have done this with DD1 and DD2 from the start...

Howe's son and Longoria...

1zg80id.gif

Oh...and #6: enjoy the ride!

CP

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I'm sure I missed something somewhere. Can someone give me a link to the conversation about the pvc sight he pool noodle on it? I would like to understand the purpose and use for it.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
iPhone
iPhone
iPhone
iPhone
iPhone

Anybody still teaching a swing sport without video is a fossil.

I like Josh's tape idea too. can't keep these girls lined up for the outside pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi