Too late ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
As a sequel to the Leftie's thread:

My DD's varsity coach has suggested that she tryout pitching, What do you all think about teaching a 15yr old freshman on how to pitch ? She pitched at 12U but gave it up due to a lack of interest. She has realized a lot of options for fielding positions has closed now that she is playing varsity & 16U travel.

has that ship sailed ?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If DD was the starting SS I would tell her not to bother, if DD was fighting for playing time I would ask where a good instructor we can go to and we will start working on it right away.

If she wants to of course or you will fail before you start.

(If the coach just said that because your DD is a lefty I would ignore her.)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
If DD was the starting SS I would tell her not to bother, if DD was fighting for playing time I would ask where a good instructor we can go to and we will start working on it right away.

On school team, the 1b position will be hers to lose after this season - 4 year starter in front of her ! for now DD is DH'ing for her freshman season.

Travel ball the the 1b position is hers to lose.

I think the HS coach sees a possible weakness at the position and thinks a lot of DD's ability to learn tbh

DD is on the fence, i told her if she wants it I will support but the decision is entirely hers

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If she plans to play college ball she needs to play as many positions as possible. 1B and DH are bubble positions and the closest positions to left out.

Think about this from the perspective of a college coach. They want players that can add value to their program and that can learn new tricks. Although they may not be recruiting your DD as a pitcher they find out she is pitching in HS and did not learn until she was 15. That is an attention getter and what coach would not want to see what she has to offer?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina

Ditto! Well stated!

Mar 1, 2015
Local girl around here recently verballed to UTenn and was recruited by two other major D1 programs (Flor St and UWash). In a newspaper article about her verbal it was mentioned she didn't really start pitching until 8th or 9th grade.

Mar 1, 2015
Local girl around here recently verballed to UTenn and was recruited by two other major D1 programs (Flor St and UWash). In a newspaper article about her verbal it was mentioned she didn't really start get serious about pitching until the end of 9th grade.

Maryville softball pitcher Caylan Arnold commits to Tennessee - The Daily Times: Sports

Also, speaking of Tenn, their best pitcher this year wasn't even recruited as a pitcher. Didn't throw a pitch her freshman year. The next fall coaches saw her messing around one day and decided to make her a pitcher. Now she's a valuable part of an SEC pitching staff.

Talent, hard work, a good coach and the ability to be coached will dictate your daughter's success. All four will need to come together quickly but it is doable.

Apr 25, 2010
Local girl around here recently verballed to UTenn and was recruited by two other major D1 programs (Flor St and UWash). In a newspaper article about her verbal it was mentioned she didn't really start get serious about pitching until the end of 9th grade.

Maryville softball pitcher Caylan Arnold commits to Tennessee - The Daily Times: Sports

Also, speaking of Tenn, their best pitcher this year wasn't even recruited as a pitcher. Didn't throw a pitch her freshman year. The next fall coaches saw her messing around one day and decided to make her a pitcher. Now she's a valuable part of an SEC pitching staff.

Talent, hard work, a good coach and the ability to be coached will dictate your daughter's success. All four will need to come together quickly but it is doable.

Gaffin is not their best pitcher. She is a good pitching option, but Erin Gabriel is, undoubtedly, their best pitcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC