To pitch or not to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Suggest the parents take a psychiatric evaluation. If they pass, and are proven to be sane, responsible adults, then they will never cut the mustard as the parents of travel ball pitchers. If, however, the parents are insane and/or sadomasochistic, then by all means they should continue to support their offspring in their pitching endeavors.

-W

LOL

Very nicely put. I couldn't agree more.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Suggest the parents take a psychiatric evaluation. If they pass, and are proven to be sane, responsible adults, then they will never cut the mustard as the parents of travel ball pitchers. If, however, the parents are insane and/or sadomasochistic, then by all means they should continue to support their offspring in their pitching endeavors.

-W

Definition of SADOMASOCHISM
: the derivation of pleasure from the infliction of physical or mental pain either on others or on oneself

Yep, that about covers it :)

Jun 26, 2010
Thank you for all the feedback. Some of what everyone posted has been going through my mind at some point. She doesn't have the drive to practice more than other kids. She loves the social part of it. Part of me wants her to go to the other team and get the opportunity to pitch more, because no matter what, in this current situation the coaches daughter will always be the number 1 pitcher. And not to mention the craziness I feel being a pitcher's dad. One doesn't understand it until they've lived it.

Bottom line is, it's about her having fun playing softball and hanging with her friends. She still wants to learn pitching it's just not the be all end all for her, and that could change. The coaches have been terrific with her and the other girls.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
As a daddy of a pitcher, I can't recommend the following link enough!

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/bei...es-grow-up-pitchers-serious-apologies-wn.html
You know I wasn't really that nervous about dd's first game pitching. It will be coming in the next couple of weeks, but after reading that post now I'm terrified.
I was never a pacer, but in the beginning I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I've grown a lot since then, now I rarely say anything, except the occasional good catch/hit, kid. Not sure how I will react the first time she pitches. I'm not so worried about yelling, but I don't wanna start pacing(I am a clapper though).
I think the more I learn about softball, the more I realize I don't know anything about softball.

Nov 29, 2009
I think the more I learn about softball, the more I realize I don't know anything about softball.

A parent who gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a refreshing thing to read.... Your DD will do just fine so long as you keep remembering that. Because one day you WILL know quite a bit about the game. Keep quiet so your ears and brain work at maximum capacity for learning.

The quickest path to wisdom is understanding how much you don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan