To pitch or not to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
This past season was my 10 yr old daughters first year of tournament softball. She worked on her pitching mechanics, but is still inexperienced compared to other 10 yr olds. She had a rough beginning and was dropped to the third pitcher on the team, but worked hard and had some success later in the year. She got offered a spot on the same team but as the third pitcher again because coach offered a spot to a more experienced pitcher. My daughter would rather stay on this team and play another position than try out for another club to pitch. She will continue to work on pitching by playing little league. They move up to 12u next year. She was offered this spot because of her bat and she can be counted on to always be there and do what coaches ask her to do.

I get a call last night from the coach to talk about the club having another 12u team and that coach wants my daughter to pitch. Ultimately, the decision will be my daughters. My question is, which is better for her development, play on current team and pitch in little league or pitch on a tournament team that will be comprised of the less talented players?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Always a tough question without actually seeing your DD play and seeing the teams.

You need to do a little soul searching. Does your DD really want to pitch or is this something you want her to do?

You said, "My daughter would rather stay on this team and play another position than try out for another club to pitch." That doesn't sound like someone who is chomping at the bit to get on the mound. If she loved pitching, she would put pitching ahead of everything else.

You're probably thinking, "If she had more success pitching, then she would like it." That may or may not be true. Pitching is entirely different than playing any other position on the field. It isn't for everyone, regardless of whether they have the athletic talent.

Aug 2, 2008
IMO let her go to the team she is comfortable with and pitch LL and have some fun. Its a big year, in that I mean by the end of the season you guys should have a pretty good idea if she is in love with pitching or not. I know it sounds cliche but if she is not begging you to go out and catch for her then you may love pitching more than her, and thats ok your not the only one. Around 11 years old I was noticing a difference between the kids who loved practicing pitching and the other 95% of girls like my daughter who really didnt. She has turned into a pretty good catcher though, and it was her choice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Being the #3 pitcher is really hard, would prefer DD not to pitch. She is about to make a big jump in distance and ball size.

Why not stay with the current Team and start working with the bigger ball and distance with an eye on next year?

Mar 31, 2011
My 11yr DD left her team of 5 years to go pitch somewhere else a year ago, then she just left her team of last year to find a team she would be the number one pitcher on. She made a lot of friends along the way and left them all behind just to pitch. She scouted teams and who they had pitching and went to several tryouts just to find a fit for her. Passed on a team with a Daddy/daughter Coach/pitcher pair, and one where she would have been second at best.

My problem sadly is that my DD has no problem riding the pine if she is not pitching.

As much as my DD is dedicated, I know, and have explained to her, there are others who are working harder than she is, and that she has to compete with them as time goes by. Each year the number of pitching positions dwindle for teams. 10u had 4 or 5, at 12u there are 3 or 4, many 16u have only 2 (and a girl who used to pitch). The best get better and the 3rd string give it up.

My DD has one goal that she has shared with me. To be the unquestioned starting pitcher for her local High School team. She went so far as to offer her mother her savings when she questioned the cost of her pitching lessons a few weeks ago.

My point is my DD's love of the game is pitching. If yours is not, let her play where she loves. It all lasts too short to have them do anything other than what they love.

Feb 3, 2011
Every person sets a different value on different things.

Our DD's situation: we have two 10u teams this fall and I'm coaching the younger team. My DD initially wanted to play on the other, more talented team where she'd be fighting to be #1, but because it was important to her that I be able to attend all her games, she chose to play on my team instead. She valued that above being able to play with her summer teammates and also above playing what will (presumably) be a tougher schedule.

In tournament play, many teams are only as strong as their #2 pitcher, but are only going as deep into the weekend as their #3 can get them. It's a tough job being #3, but when the team needs her and she's able to deliver, her value is immeasurable to a team looking to get into the championship game.

Softball is a very social game and girls like playing with their friends. Your DD has relationships on this team that she values more than being a #1 starter and she's expressed this to you. Listen to her.

Nov 1, 2009
My daughter went 6-1 at nationals as a 12 player and was one of the best pitchers in the area. She had good speed for her age and excellent control of her pitches. Her whole softball life she wanted to be a pitcher and worked hard to get to the level she did.

As Paul Harvey would say, now for the rest of the story. The last game she ever pitched was the last game of that tournament. I have begged and pleaded but still her answer is no, and that answer will never change. She still loves to play and is still a very important member of our team so I guess my point is pitching, even if you are very good is not for every kid. Let he make her choice and you should support it.

Jul 26, 2010
Suggest the parents take a psychiatric evaluation. If they pass, and are proven to be sane, responsible adults, then they will never cut the mustard as the parents of travel ball pitchers. If, however, the parents are insane and/or sadomasochistic, then by all means they should continue to support their offspring in their pitching endeavors.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06