Time for a New Team or New Perspective

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
I can sympathize...

DD was our teams #1 catcher for 1.5 seasons. Then, last January our coach picked up a pitcher "who would only throw to HER catcher" so "obviously" (insert rolling eyes here) they were a package deal. DD was the better catcher - coach admitted it, and eventually so did the pitchers dad. However, coach said he couldn't play the new catcher anywhere but catcher because he couldn't trust her, while he could trust DD to play just about anywhere. So DD became the #2 catcher - catching about 30% of games, and playing 1st most of the rest of the time. We were told at the beginning of this season that catching would be split 50/50 this year. Has it happened? NO. DD has caught probably a total of 12 innings all fall season. She has not caught one full game all season. She was again playing 1st most of the time, until the past 2 tourneys where she has been on the bench or in CF. AC's DD is now playing 1st (and for what it's worth she is awful. If the ball doesn't just land in her glove she won't make a move for it). DD is a great outfielder, but I am annoyed that now she has been pushed out of 2 positions, and I feel like she has lost her edge at catcher. She is working with a couple different pitchers during their lessons, but lessons are not the same as game experience.

Before we go into the next season I am having a sit down with the coach. DD has played for him for 3 years and I really do like him as a person. I think he has gotten caught up in the girls who cry when they don't get to play the positions they want, and the parents who either get in his face or buddy up to him. DD never complains and always does as she's asked with a good attitude. I have never complained to him either but I feel like we are being taken advantage of.

There are 4 teams where I know DD would be welcomed with open arms - and would play as the #1 catcher. However, she loves the girls she plays with and really doesn't want to change teams - but she is frustrated with her play time as of late.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
With Mackenzie's comp ball days firmly in the rear view mirror (She's been out of college for a year now) we have had the chance to look back and consider the teams and choices made with perfect 20/20 hindsight. She had two excellent teams, two average teams and one stinking HORRIBLE team. The play of the team wasn't horrible... The choices the coach made and the respect he demonstrated (Mostly lack thereof) made it stinking HORRIBLE. Mackenzie chose to stick out the season in two instances where agreed upon obligations were ignored. She didn't want to let her team mates down. (Most of which bailed by season's end) Our daughters make their friends and if they change teams.... their true friends remain friends. I see my catchers hanging with former teammates nearly every time I go out and watch them play. Your daughter should know her goals, the coach and families reach an understanding of each other's goals and if after a reasonable time they aren't discussed and met, then it's time to find another team... Even in mid season. But, the expectations must be reasonable and well understood by the coach, the player and the family. Our kids have really just a short time to play some ball. It goes by way too fast. Make the most of it.

PS: Do remember to be respectful in all communications.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors