throwing routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2014
What is yours?

Im doing away with one knee drill and wrist snaps.

I will do standing face to face ten feet away work on top shelf throws and then switch to regular throws. focus on hips and torso rotation.

I will move back a few feet add a shuffle and have glove and ball married at the chest, break hands high as the receiver steps into the catch with the left foot and gets in same position. Then backs up and repeats.

Back it up again and add some distance throwing. Shuffle shuffle throw...don't break hands and hold. Break hands right before left foot hits. ( righty's)

Come together with quick hands and quick transfers stepping in with left foot and breaking hands high

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What is yours?

Im doing away with one knee drill and wrist snaps.

I will do standing face to face ten feet away work on top shelf throws and then switch to regular throws. focus on hips and torso rotation.

I will move back a few feet add a shuffle and have glove and ball married at the chest, break hands high as the receiver steps into the catch with the left foot and gets in same position. Then backs up and repeats.

Back it up again and add some distance throwing. Shuffle shuffle throw...don't break hands and hold. Break hands right before left foot hits. ( righty's)

Come together with quick hands and quick transfers stepping in with left foot and breaking hands high

Hip.... Hip.... Horray!!!!

I think that's a great decision, particularly that first line.

Aug 13, 2014
I have the high level throwing e book also...but the reverse rocker drills and some of those are just to much for young girls..I may stir this up a bit but I really really don't like the hand behind the head drills...some girls are doing that and I have had them actually throw like that. NOT SOLD YET ..HE DID HAVE ME AT NO L DRILLS SO I BOUGHT IN.

Austin was kind enough to respond to my emails about why he doesn't have a pre-game routine with all of the study that he has put into this he DOESNT HAVE A PRE GAME ROUTINE MADE UP. He acknowledged it and agreed with me and now says he will have one out in October! That's good news. Also he says he wouldn't do away with the one knee drills but he will be doing it but oppo foot up? He says its better hip rotation..i tried it and I do not see how you can rotate the hips better with the throwing leg up? It seemed to me that the hips rotate better the other way??? Help if you can here please!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You had 9-10 year olds doing reverse rocker drills oppo knee down...half turn step and throws...I bet that was brutal

Not at all. I introduced one new drill each practice until they had them down. It took patience (and walking them through the footwork multiple times) and the first time or two on a new drill did have some humorous results but by the end of the season the girls all knew what we were doing and could go through the progression without much guidence. They would do 10 -15 throws of each before moving on to the next drill, increasing the distance with each drill change. We'd start close (about 20 feet) with the hand behind head no step and end with the reverse rocker from roughly 80 feet when we were done.

At our very first practice I think I had 3 of 11 girls able to reach 1B from 3B, by the end of the season every girl could make that throw routinely in practice, though in games it was bit spottier with results. I had a 9-10 rec team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not at all. I introduced one new drill each practice until they had them down. It took patience (and walking them through the footwork multiple times) and the first time or two on a new drill did have some humorous results but by the end of the season the girls all knew what we were doing and could go through the progression without much guidence. They would do 10 -15 throws of each before moving on to the next drill, increasing the distance with each drill change. We'd start close (about 20 feet) with the hand behind head no step and end with the reverse rocker from roughly 80 feet when we were done.

At our very first practice I think I had 3 of 11 girls able to reach 1B from 3B, by the end of the season every girl could make that throw routinely in practice, though in games it was bit spottier with results. I had a 9-10 rec team.

Great Job Lou! You didn't fall into the "underestimating the girls' capabilities" trap that catches so many! It's just as easy to teach them the right way to do something as the wrong way! I'm betting that every single one of those girls will play next year as practices and games are much more fun when you can throw!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Great Job Lou! You didn't fall into the "underestimating the girls' capabilities" trap that catches so many! It's just as easy to teach them the right way to do something as the wrong way! I'm betting that every single one of those girls will play next year as practices and games are much more fun when you can throw!

Thanks GM, I only wish I had known the "right way" when I was taking the older DD and her teams through wrist snaps and L-drills, gains in throwing skill would have been soooo much easier. :(

And I agree, set the bar high for them, but give them the tools to reach the bar and you'll never be disappointed with what a motivated kid can do.

Of the 11 we had 7 tried out for summer all-stars and 5 make it. Sadly we lost one who thought she wasn't good enough to play with the other girls despite the encouragement she got from coaches and teammates and getting the "game ball" the day before she quit. That was a sad day when she said she was hanging them up because softball made her too nervous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32