Throwing Problems!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I'd advise taking her out to a field and setting up a target at first base. An old folding chair where she can try to hit the seat back, a ball bucket with a big stuffed animal sitting on top or a batting tee with a beach ball/basketball on it, something like that. Put her at SS, roll gound balls to her (you can work up to more challenging fielding later) and let her try to hit the target. Watch and encourage her to get herself positioned correctly for the throw. (might even take some video if you can) There's plenty of time for her to learn throwing accuracy, but it's better to get her on the right path as soon as possible. JMHO.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I'd advise taking her out to a field and setting up a target at first base. An old folding chair where she can try to hit the seat back, a ball bucket with a big stuffed animal sitting on top or a batting tee with a beach ball/basketball on it, something like that. Put her at SS, roll gound balls to her (you can work up to more challenging fielding later) and let her try to hit the target. Watch and encourage her to get herself positioned correctly for the throw. (might even take some video if you can) There's plenty of time for her to learn throwing accuracy, but it's better to get her on the right path as soon as possible. JMHO.

+1 for target practice.

For DD's team, we set up a game. One group of girls at SS position, one group at 2B. Tee with a helmet on top placed on home plate. Two coaches hitting grounders at the same time from opposite sides of the plate, girls trying to field the ball and hit the helmet. The team with the most hits doesn't have to pick up the balls.

How about the bucket game? Hit ground balls to a line of girls at SS. Coach or dad sitting on a bucket at 1B, and not allowed to get off the bucket to catch the ball. If he can't catch the throw, you are out. Eliminate girls until you have a winner.

May 16, 2014
My 8 yo DD struggles with accuracy as well. First, she was dropping her arm to the side, which was causing an issue. So, we needed to work on over the top. But the best improvements came when we played competitions throwing to targets. It gave her incentive to put into practice what I was telling her. Now if we can just get the improvements to stick, we'll be doing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd