Thoughts about a product

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I bought one a few years ago and took it back. I think it would have been an ok hitting aid, but we just didn't have enough room for it in our house. The standard model takes quite a bit of floor space (much more than a net and tee require), so be sure you can fit it in at your location.

We're mostly sticking with a Bownet and Tanner tee, a bucket of softballs, TCBs and TCBs with holes. ;-) I did pick up a Zepp, but I haven't had time to try to figure it out yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I have been using one for quite a while. The bungees need replacing periodically, but it's a decent tool. The kids like it as a station for some reason. To be honest, I have gone from having several unsupervised gadget stations to none at all anymore. Hard to beat the camera phone for best gadget award though.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
the camera phone is definitely a great tool and addition over the past several years. I love tee work and front toss but I struggle with the girls just going through the motion. I tell them "Don't just workout to get by, workout to get better." I think what I'm really after is a way to get high school girls motivated about hitting. They don't see the connection between quality reps in practice and a quality at bat in the game

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
the camera phone is definitely a great tool and addition over the past several years. I love tee work and front toss but I struggle with the girls just going through the motion. I tell them "Don't just workout to get by, workout to get better." I think what I'm really after is a way to get high school girls motivated about hitting. They don't see the connection between quality reps in practice and a quality at bat in the game

I always think back on what Lou Holtz said when asked how he got to be such a great motivator of players. His response was he chooses players who are self-motivated and cuts the rest.

It can be tough to give kids that incentive to get better if they don't have it inside of them. Some things you can try are:

• Vary up your hitting stations. Doing the same things all the time leads to boredom. Change the order, change the activity, change the location.
  • Incorporate some game-like activities to help give it context. One game I created was to write down a lot of different hitting options on 3x5 index cards and divide the team into two groups that play each other. The hitter must select an index card, which tells her what hitting technique to use and how many pitches she gets to execute it. Some are also wild cards that let her choose. Keep score to add competition. As added incentive, if the hitter doesn't execute the technique properly you can call her out, even if she hits successfully. I also have some other ideas on my blog, which you can get to from the link in my signature if you want.
  • For bunting, divide the team into two groups and have an elimination contest. Players come up one at a time to bunt, alternating teams. Tell them they have to bunt a certain direction, or draw a line that if the ball goes past they are out of the competition. If they don't get it down they're also out. You'd be amazed at how excited they can get when the ball is close to the line, and how much more seriously they'll taking bunting practice - especially if you announce the game ahead of time.
  • Remind them of a game where they were out-hit, or show them some video of a rival team pounding the ball. That may or may not work to motivate them. Depends on what kind of competitors they are.

Just a few ideas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi