Thoughtful Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
I had something happen this past weekend in a tourney that I want to share. It was very inspiring and this girl is new to the team this year. This tourney gave MVP shirts each pool game. The MVP is chosen by the other team and given to the player. When I do this, I always ask my book keeper and other coaches who they think and that is how we proceed to give them out. But the team we just played had a different way. As we were shaking hands after the game I heard the other team girls say to their coach "Can we give it to the catcher this time?" and he said sure. Here is where it gets a little tricky. I had subbed out my catcher who had caught 5 innings with my 3rd stringer for the last inning. She basically caught three batters. They came over and gave it to the catcher who caught the last inning. She gave this funny look and I said, "Congrats, we play next, go get your shirt and come right back." So she did. The other catcher didn't say a word. She went out and got a drink and set down to cool down as we played right after that. Just so happened the team we played was still playing so we had some downtime. As we were standing their the last catcher was standing there and looked at me and said, "I don't know why I got this I only caught the last inning, I bet they meant to give it to the other catcher". She said this twice and I finally looked at her and said, "If you believe that she deserves it better than you, she is sitting right over there, go give it to her." She didn't even blink. No pause, nothing, she headed straight to the other girl. Explained that she felt she deserved it more as she caught the whole game and gave her the MVP award. This girl was a late add to the team, it solidified my choice of bringing her on the team. This is why I coach.

Jun 7, 2013
During a tournament in which she really excelled as a pitcher, my daughter was winning the MVP award from the other team every game which included a Dairy Queen blizzard and a certificate. After she had won the first award the coach asked her if it was OK to give it to another player on the team since she had won every one. She said, "Sure", and never looked back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad