They're too Big to play!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City
We played a tournament this past weekend at 14C where the opposing pitcher was at least between 6'1"-6'2" and weighed in the neighborhood of 250#'s. They had another player that was big as well, but not that big. The biggest player we had in the dugout that tournament is around 5'4" and 140#'s. We played them close :)

Really, I'd be more afraid at a younger age of inexperienced players (like C or rec), as there is a possibility that they can hit the ball hard. But as displayed this past weekend, my DD is 5'2" weighing around 115, and hit the ball way deeper than anyone on their team.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
That's goofy, Mike. Our coaches and most parents don't shy away from a potential whupping. Our last 14U bracket game on Sunday was our '02s against a team of tall, athletic '00s that will need to move to 16U on January 1. DD pretty much got shelled but hung in there and the HC, her, and catcher made adjustments. Defense was trying hard. Our hitters were basically shut down (5 hits in 4 innings and a lot of Ks). We lost 10-2. Most parents want to play them again before the end of the year.

So my point is that the coach you described wants a nice W-L %age instead of progressing his/her girls by playing tough competition. Shame!

Sep 29, 2014
At this time time of year if the tournament does not specify that they expect teams to play up to their "new" division you will have teams playing up while others hang on until December to play their last game before they all age up. Every team I have been involved with played up during fall ball I don't know why you would not all nationals are finished and the season is over...move on

Dec 27, 2014
Never seen a coach walk off the field no matter what the situation. Fall ball can be the worst, I actually saw @12U a mixed 10U team playing up (so there were several 9 YOs) play the trophy hunting 12U team that was moving up next year (mostly 13YOs), they got run ruled but they stayed in there and played.

Also depending on the tournament and time of year we had several tournaments that basically let you know if you signed up for 14U you had a chance of being placed in an open bracket basically 18U. Also had some that would be 100% up front and just have 10U, 14U, 18U pick your poison.
That is basically us in fall ball. No class breakdowns so, as it turned out, we ended up playing a couple "A" teams back to back that were filled with 12-13 year old players that normally competed as "A's". We are b/c 2005's and late 2004's. We got run ruled both games. I am sure they were less glad to play us as not a consistent challenge for them. I think it was good for the girls to see that kind of pitching and defend harder hit balls than we normally see. DD gave up her first career homeruns but handled it fine and competed the three innings she pitched. Held them to 4 runs through two innings before maxing the third and scoring our only run.

Most of the parents understood the situation except for one that kept making loud comments how this was "not helping the team", "we can't get any outs" etc.
Fortunately, DD said she did not hear any comments during the game.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
That's goofy, Mike. Our coaches and most parents don't shy away from a potential whupping. Our last 14U bracket game on Sunday was our '02s against a team of tall, athletic '00s that will need to move to 16U on January 1. DD pretty much got shelled but hung in there and the HC, her, and catcher made adjustments. Defense was trying hard. Our hitters were basically shut down (5 hits in 4 innings and a lot of Ks). We lost 10-2. Most parents want to play them again before the end of the year.

So my point is that the coach you described wants a nice W-L %age instead of progressing his/her girls by playing tough competition. Shame!

Potential whuppings are good for them, may bring out something you've never seen.

Oct 10, 2011
This weekend a team of very small speedsters put a whipping on a team of some much bigger young lady's. One girl was extremely large. Fortunately we faired better against them but they were very successful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd