The "Ten Commandments" of Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like this one.

Last year we had a play were eveyone was going to thier spot, OF had no where to throw it. She knows she needs to get rid of it.

She took 2 tries and just threw ball to circle, which no one was there. She knew it had to get out of her hands. :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Here's a couple:

If at first you don't succeed, do what your coach told you to do the first time.
Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

I'd like to add to djcarter1969's Thou shalt not make the first or last out at 3rd.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2012
I rewrote a few, let me know what you think.

Ten Commandments of Softball
1.) Support thy teammates as you would have thy teammates support you.
2.) Honor thy umpires and their calls, right or wrong.
3.) Thou shalt not dwell in thy past, nor foresee thy future, for tis, this pitch that matters most.
4.) Honor thy commitment to team and game and schedule no other activity above them.
5.) Thou shall be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.
6.) Thou shalt not chastise thy parent, opponent, coach, nor official be they yours or others.
7.) Thou shalt covet thy opponents' bases.
8.) Thou shalt not look at strike three. Ever.
9.) Thou shall execute the words of thy coach above all others, be they verbal or gesture.
10.) Sin not against the names on thy uniform.

Jun 1, 2015
I rewrote a few, let me know what you think.

Ten Commandments of Softball
1.) Support thy teammates as you would have thy teammates support you.
2.) Honor thy umpires and their calls, right or wrong.
3.) Thou shalt not dwell in thy past, nor foresee thy future, for tis, this pitch that matters most.
4.) Honor thy commitment to team and game and schedule no other activity above them.
5.) Thou shall be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.
6.) Thou shalt not chastise thy parent, opponent, coach, nor official be they yours or others.
7.) Thou shalt covet thy opponents' bases.
8.) Thou shalt not look at strike three. Ever.
9.) Thou shall execute the words of thy coach above all others, be they verbal or gesture.
10.) Sin not against the names on thy uniform.

I do like how this list works. My only comments (and this is partially because of some being mine and some being yours) would be that #2 and 6 sound similar, I'm not too keen on #3 (there's motivational, then there's motivational), and if I have to scrap one, #10 would be the one to replace with something else.

Jun 21, 2012
I do like how this list works. My only comments (and this is partially because of some being mine and some being yours) would be that #2 and 6 sound similar, I'm not too keen on #3 (there's motivational, then there's motivational), and if I have to scrap one, #10 would be the one to replace with something else.

After you pointed out #2 and #6 I see exactly what you are talking about. I happen to love your #10. And for me, I say something similar to #3 every game, and if I could have it written in stone, I would.

Maybe change #2 to "Thou shall act poised and professional in all times." Meaning, control your demeanor and attitude so that they both represent a positive and purposeful outlook.

Jun 1, 2015
I might scrap #2 and keep/edit #6 slightly to something like "Always honor thy parents, coaches, umpires, and respect thy opponents".

I also might keep #10 and re-add one previously that was something to the extent of, "Thou shall have fun, work hard, etc." I'd like my #10 to be something that rounds it all together (have fun, play hard, enjoy, drink Coke, etc.)

I may also edit #9 back to what I thought of before. Maybe something like "Obey thy coaches' signals, for they knoweth the game well."

Jun 21, 2012
I might scrap #2 and keep/edit #6 slightly to something like "Always honor thy parents, coaches, umpires, and respect thy opponents".

I also might keep #10 and re-add one previously that was something to the extent of, "Thou shall have fun, work hard, etc." I'd like my #10 to be something that rounds it all together (have fun, play hard, enjoy, drink Coke, etc.)

I may also edit #9 back to what I thought of before. Maybe something like "Obey thy coaches' signals, for they knoweth the game well."

I like them.

My #9 was more for the bleacher coaches than the players.

Jun 1, 2015
While playing the game, thou shalt not turn and look at thine parent for instructions.

Or confirmation/approval. There's NOTHING I can't stand more than when I've had players make a routine ground ball (not even for an out), then look at a parent to be told, "Good job" or "work on this", etc. IF that's the case, this team should have 15 coaches. Pains in the rear for sure. I'm lucky this past year I had ZERO parent issues - I coach in a very small town (~ 5000-ish), and ALL of the parents know me because I've umpired for their kids through youth softball (for over 12 years). So they know my expectations and how to approach me, etc.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
One of my stories...

DD pitching. 2 pitches, 2 outs.

Opposing coach told hitter not to swing, like DD does not have ears.

She threw the prettiest pitch a batter ever saw, batter was done. :)

One time DD threw a first pitch change up to a big corn fed #3 hitter for a swinging strike, the HC ripped into her from the 3B coaches box "we do not swing at first pitch change ups!". Guess what every first pitch was after that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877