The Perfect Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Her timing may be affecting her swing. She's too early on a soft toss pitch. Game speed might have a different look. She's reaching.

There is a difference between moving forward to move forward and moving forward to time the ball. You make a good point. I like TJs use of the phrase "ride the wave"

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like the attack posture as well, although it isn't the only way. There is an unloading problem, losing the back side. She isn't hitting off the back foot, getting the "back side" into the swing quickly. There is "slop" in the unloading.

But, yes Cabrera has an awesome "attack" posture. He is using the big muscles in a quicker more powerful way as compared to the girl. He is going forward by turning in a sense, coiling at the start of the stride at least and then maintains the coil directly into unloading.

Cabrera is getting his rear into the swing.

Yes ............................

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nogdvxRn6w1usf292o1_400.gif

Apr 7, 2015
Okay, just so I'm clear... 1) Moves out to early and 2) has coil but loses it to early. Many thanks for your help all of you! I will get you some game speed film in a few weeks at the next tournament.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Since you mentioned early bat speed as your objective, you are going to get plenty of advice, and some might be contrary to what DD is working on with her coaches, including (possibly) the following. One school of thought is to holdback and/or pullback against the forward momentum so that you hip coil effectively around the rear leg. Correctly done, this also creates or maintains a loaded condition in the scapula. All of this hopefully sets up, at launch, a hand swivel and barrel turn that create the early bat speed you are seeking.
It's a lot harder than it sounds, but you have a superior athlete to work with, so if your desire is to follow that particular swing school, you can find lots of material on these pages. You can find lots of contrary material too, so Caveat Emptor.

This is a superior momentum-type swing.

WClark3.gif

This one might be considered less refined, lacking some the aforementioned characteristics.

WilMyers_062413_side.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan