The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Empirical data would certainly show otherwise. Were this not the case how would you explain the higher velocity from Barnhill when she aggressively replants versus when she attempts to appear legal?

When she replants she "comes out of her shoes" while throwing the pitch. When she does not replant she is more under control trying to hit her spot. A player should be able to get more push off the plate than they do flat footed on the ground, otherwise what would be the purpose of the plate. My DD can pickup an extra MPH or two if she does not care where the pitch is going and just throws it as hard as she can. You can also hear a difference in the "grunt" she uses when she cranks it up.

Oct 16, 2014
Replanting does not increase pitch speed, but the pitcher is essentially throwing from @ 3' closer to the batter, which decreases the batters reaction time. It is like throwing from 40' vs. 43'....

oh ok gotcha. I knew it had to be something working to her advantage but it's not like I ever filmed her to evaluate it or anything. All I can tell when I watch this girl pitch is she replants, and then pushes her body forward hard with her back foot as she's releasing the ball. Looks like she gains momentum that way, could also be she is throwing from closer, I see how that makes sense

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When she replants she "comes out of her shoes" while throwing the pitch. When she does not replant she is more under control trying to hit her spot. A player should be able to get more push off the plate than they do flat footed on the ground, otherwise what would be the purpose of the plate. My DD can pickup an extra MPH or two if she does not care where the pitch is going and just throws it as hard as she can. You can also hear a difference in the "grunt" she uses when she cranks it up.

So if I understand correctly when Barnhill does not leap and replant she is trying to hit her spots and intentionally throws with less velocity. And when she leaps and replants it does not result in greater velocity just gets her closer to the plate. Likewise in the mens game the leap and replant in no way increases power and they do it only to get closer to the plate. That is what you are going with?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So if I understand correctly when Barnhill does not leap and replant she is trying to hit her spots and intentionally throws with less velocity. And when she leaps and replants it does not result in greater velocity just gets her closer to the plate. Likewise in the mens game the leap and replant in no way increases power and they do it only to get closer to the plate. That is what you are going with?

My contention is that her velocity is controlled by her arm speed, and the amount of "ummpphh" she puts on the pitch, not by the fact that she replants. How is pushing off of flat dirt better than pushing off the pitching plate?

BTW - USCe is playing Missouri in the SEC tournament right now, so put down your iPad and watch the game! LOL

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My contention is that her velocity is controlled by her arm speed, and the amount of "ummpphh" she puts on the pitch, not by the fact that she replants. How is pushing off of flat dirt better than pushing off the pitching plate?

BTW - USCe is playing Missouri in the SEC tournament right now, so put down your iPad and watch the game! LOL

I have 4 monitor config with an HDMI connection to an LCD TV so I am in good shape with displays. Cannot believe the Gamecocks just tied it up in the 7th.

So if I have this right Barnhill could easily throw just as fast legally as she does with a leap and replant, but chooses not to so she can get closer to the plate? And there is absolutely no increase in torque and arm speed due to a leap and replant. Right? You sure there is no power advantage to a leap and replant?

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
One question about how this girl pitches. It looks like her foot is landing outside of the pitching lane in the first clip. Is that also illegal?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
One question about how this girl pitches. It looks like her foot is landing outside of the pitching lane in the first clip. Is that also illegal?

She is on the line from what I can see so it is legal I believe but she is pushing the boundary for sure to your point. It is really close! However, the bigger thing is the replanting that sticks out to me. With that said, I am definitely in the camp that the replant is an advantage. I used to burst the blood vessels in my head when I saw girls pitching with incredible velocity doing this. However, now I am officially subscribing to this as the way men "naturally" pitch and someone somewhere decided that women should be held back from doing it. I don't know why this was done but IMO it was forced on women (girls) that they should not be allowed to crow hop. Yet, men can do it all day long and it is okay, and would argue that it is more natural, less destructive to the body, etc. etc. I see Barnhill, Silkwood, Carda last year, and many more ( I can't think of all the names right now) doing it. They clearly did not develop these mechanics AFTER they got into college but were recruited because of them and/or their ability to throw HARD, spin the ball, change their speed, etc. etc. In other words, they were NOT overlooked because they replanted. The were recruited to big time D1 schools.

I personally think it is a tough question to answer as a parent. What do you do? Are you tired of watching other girls throw a ton faster with these mechanics? Do you keep telling yourself that I will stick to the rules within the game although my DD will clearly not throw as hard as those who don't? It is a tough question to ask yourself in my opinion.

With all that said, I realize everyone has their opinion and this is an area of great debate. I simply share my thoughts of what I do believe is an advantage not to try to encourage anyone else to change their beliefs.

All that said, Silkwood, who is a "skippy" was pulled tonight in the first. She was clearly off tonight, but wouldn't have been there in the first place without her mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi