The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
She really isn't unorthodox. She is pitching with the "not close to 6 foot but want to hit 70" set of mechanics. She and Carda are twins. Lots of college pitchers pitch with this type of mechanics set. it is illegal, but not unorthodox. In a way they sacrifice the ability to have true curve/drop/rise pitches and pinpoint control in order to throw 5 mph faster than they would if they threw with more of brush style. I still think there is a dividing line as I have yet to see a skippy replanter that had good brush. I think they have to lean and clear to accommodate the forward push off that rear leg. that replant kind of tilts their bodies more forward so if they released at the brush point they would throw high powered dirt balls, they have to clear in order to let that replant transfer to their whip and still have a decent release angle that can get across the plate, I also think this is why, on a whole they are quite a bit less accurate than the great brushers.

Well stated! ^^^^

Nov 25, 2012
USA
First I have got to see Barnhill on TV. Highly athletic and powerful.. that is impressive.

However might as well say this as it is... that is basically a mens fastpitch leap into a replant (not exactly staying in the pitching lane all the time either). Forget the replant - the leap itself is blatant and she gets what looks like 24" closer to the batter than she would without it and if it is blatant on the monitor I am watching the game on it must be really obvious live. That's the equivalent of 6mph or so in reaction time which is a huge deal when she can power it up over 70mph. At least Nevins et al were somewhat trying to not do this even if they were not successful most of the time. Opposing coaches have every right to be bursting blood vessels complaining to umpires if she continues doing this - illegal and clearly gaining an advantage.

If this is going to be 'allowed', what is the point of all the work anyone does to stay legal? I hope they call it when they away from Tim Walton Selects The Umpire Field.

The first thing that popped into my mind was some of the videos Hillhouse shared recently from when he pitched years ago. IMHO she looks like she should/could pitch in a men's league and to everyone's point......those rules are different.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
So...... her replant without brush gives her X speed. If she were to pitch without replant but full brush - would she get the same X speed? Basically, is the replant compensating for the lack of brush?

I'd love to see some science behind this - run a test with the same pitcher pitching both ways to see the difference. But, if you are a replanter you probably can't pitch with brush (with the same confidence or comfort)
thoughts????

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Anyone have any updates on Barnhill in regards to getting called for illegal pitching this season? I have not had a chance to see her play unfortunately but I did see she is 15-0. Just curious if the blues clamped down at all as the season has gone on. Hopefully I can catch some games as the post season approaches.

Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Anyone have any updates on Barnhill in regards to getting called for illegal pitching this season? I have not had a chance to see her play unfortunately but I did see she is 15-0. Just curious if the blues clamped down at all as the season has gone on. Hopefully I can catch some games as the post season approaches!

Will be interesting to see what happens in the WCWS.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The merits of the rule aside, she and many other pitchers are illegal on every pitch they throw. It is obvious and when it is not called what does that say about the integrity of the sport?

Oct 16, 2014
........If this is going to be 'allowed', what is the point of all the work anyone does to stay legal? I hope they call it when they away from Tim Walton Selects The Umpire Field.

thank you.

This is exactly how I feel. My DD works very very hard on her mechanics and her form. We have another girl on the team that pitches very similar to what Kelly Barnhill is doing in that clip. This girl on DD's team has been pitching as long as my DD, same size, same level of playing experience, but she is definitely a few MPH faster than my DD. I think her extra speed is because she does this replant, second push off/ lean at release so she gains extra power that way. I've watched her pitch 1000 times so I see it. DD sees it. DD is frustrated and asks me "why do I have to have perfect form if it's going to make me slower than some of these other girls?" I remind her slow and steady wins the race. Don't succumb to instant gratification (ie speed) in leau of good mechanics. I remind my DD that she may be a little slower but she has good control, decent /average speed (its not like she's slow, just mid range) and most importantly she pitches in an injury free motion. I see this Barnhill girl and several others have obviously never been called out on this, and they have become successful, that IS frustrating. Oh so frustrating.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
thank you.

This is exactly how I feel. My DD works very very hard on her mechanics and her form. We have another girl on the team that pitches very similar to what Kelly Barnhill is doing in that clip. This girl on DD's team has been pitching as long as my DD, same size, same level of playing experience, but she is definitely a few MPH faster than my DD. I think her extra speed is because she does this replant, second push off/ lean at release so she gains extra power that way. I've watched her pitch 1000 times so I see it. DD sees it. DD is frustrated and asks me "why do I have to have perfect form if it's going to make me slower than some of these other girls?" I remind her slow and steady wins the race. Don't succumb to instant gratification (ie speed) in leau of good mechanics. I remind my DD that she may be a little slower but she has good control, decent /average speed (its not like she's slow, just mid range) and most importantly she pitches in an injury free motion. I see this Barnhill girl and several others have obviously never been called out on this, and they have become successful, that IS frustrating. Oh so frustrating.

Replanting does not increase pitch speed, but the pitcher is essentially throwing from @ 3' closer to the batter, which decreases the batters reaction time. It is like throwing from 40' vs. 43'....

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD is frustrated and asks me "why do I have to have perfect form if it's going to make me slower than some of these other girls?" I remind her slow and steady wins the race. Don't succumb to instant gratification (ie speed) in leau of good mechanics. I remind my DD that she may be a little slower but she has good control, decent /average speed (its not like she's slow, just mid range) and most importantly she pitches in an injury free motion. I see this Barnhill girl and several others have obviously never been called out on this, and they have become successful, that IS frustrating. Oh so frustrating.

It is extremely frustrating to watch cheaters prosper - especially when it's blatant and the people that are supposed to be the watchdogs just look the other way.

Until the alphabet organizations get off their duffs and make ONE non-gender set of pitching rules since the current rules aren't being enforced anyway :mad:, personal integrity and honor in pitching by the rules is a far more important lesson - especially in today's me-me-me society...just my old guy former bucket dad opinion...now get off my lawn :rolleyes:.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Replanting does not increase pitch speed, but the pitcher is essentially throwing from @ 3' closer to the batter, which decreases the batters reaction time. It is like throwing from 40' vs. 43'....

Empirical data would certainly show otherwise. Were this not the case how would you explain the higher velocity from Barnhill when she aggressively replants versus when she attempts to appear legal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi